THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

53 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The 2014 show was wonderful in the early stages. One heck of a corps, too. They were running 2nd place all summer. They were actually undefeated against all competitors except for BD until Finals night, and then Bluecoats nabbed them. The music book is wonderful. Bocook did a fabulous job. I loved the idea of the sort of "Hall of Presidents" idea. The show was more stately in the early part of the summer. What hurt them was all the cheese that found its way into the show in the last 2 or 3 weeks. The pit became overbearing with bass, the big ramp and stage up front never got utilized well enough and it hindered the ability to bring the corps more forward at the end, and then the tarps and the over bearing, overt patriotic symbolism that was not needed in the show killed it. Too bad, because I do love many moments from the show and the music charts are great. They marched their tootsies off too that summer. I remember seeing them live on at least 2 occasions and being just mesmerized by the synchronicity of their legs. 

Another great corps squandered by Hop’s BS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

The 2014 show was wonderful in the early stages. One heck of a corps, too. They were running 2nd place all summer. They were actually undefeated against all competitors except for BD until Finals night, and then Bluecoats nabbed them. The music book is wonderful. Bocook did a fabulous job. I loved the idea of the sort of "Hall of Presidents" idea. The show was more stately in the early part of the summer. What hurt them was all the cheese that found its way into the show in the last 2 or 3 weeks. The pit became overbearing with bass, the big ramp and stage up front never got utilized well enough and it hindered the ability to bring the corps more forward at the end, and then the tarps and the over bearing, overt patriotic symbolism that was not needed in the show killed it. Too bad, because I do love many moments from the show and the music charts are great. They marched their tootsies off too that summer. I remember seeing them live on at least 2 occasions and being just mesmerized by the synchronicity of their legs. 

Saggy Capitol building.  I couldn’t figure out how that building figured in with a show about Presidents.  Or the Oprah tarp.  And changing the narration.  It was more coherent before the changes… oh don’t get me started…

and that stage.

I’m done. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Yup; add to end credits:

Cheese Design: George Hopkins 

:whistle: :spitting:

• Haha 2

Regarding the 2014 show by Cadets, I think this performance in July in North Carolina is really good and incredibly well performed version of the show that I really liked. Maybe take out the big stage and ramps up front and have the narrator use a smaller platform, and try to keep the narration to the original Lincoln material used in Copland's "Lincoln Portrait." If it were me I might have changed the Simple Gifts ending to that fanfare from the beginning of the show but arrange it to lead into a finale. This show worked and worked well when it was in a more stately, reverent nature while staying away from partisan bias and simply adhering to history and Lincoln's words. As you will see from this video The Cadets, while not quite at the level of the Blue Devils 2014 (who the heck is?), were pretty darn good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZIAmNG9yY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Regarding the 2014 show by Cadets, I think this performance in July in North Carolina is really good and incredibly well performed version of the show that I really liked. Maybe take out the big stage and ramps up front and have the narrator use a smaller platform, and try to keep the narration to the original Lincoln material used in Copland's "Lincoln Portrait." If it were me I might have changed the Simple Gifts ending to that fanfare from the beginning of the show but arrange it to lead into a finale. This show worked and worked well when it was in a more stately, reverent nature while staying away from partisan bias and simply adhering to history and Lincoln's words. As you will see from this video The Cadets, while not quite at the level of the Blue Devils 2014 (who the heck is?), were pretty darn good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofZIAmNG9yY

No-body was beating BD. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

What hurt them was all the cheese that found its way into the show in the last 2 or 3 weeks. The pit became overbearing with bass, the big ramp and stage up front never got utilized well enough and it hindered the ability to bring the corps more forward at the end, and then the tarps and the over bearing, overt patriotic symbolism that was not needed in the show killed it. Too bad, because I do love many moments from the show and the music charts are great. They marched their tootsies off too that summer. I remember seeing them live on at least 2 occasions and being just mesmerized by the synchronicity of their legs. 

i snipped this to cover what was an issue for a few years before and after this show.

I was walking to my job today and the smell of fresh-cut grass entered my nose. It brought back some great memories of drum corps. Today was a GOOD day. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, guard2004 said:

Ugh there is so much I want to say but I'll refrain.  Happy move-in season!

Good news hopefully. 

• Like 1