THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

8 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

It feels like a show GH designed.

Agree! The best Cadet corps were all under the direction of GH, and I'm not convinced they will win another Championship if ever again.

I have them as my sleeper corps because I love this show. The problem with moving up won't be performance or improvement related, but because the judging won't allow for it. Looking at recaps, I'm seeing way too many subcaptions where a single tenth is separating placement. How can anyone define a tenth? What is that difference in relation to? There's no room to slot let alone allow for movement to close gaps when every judge is staking corps a tenth apart from each other in subcaptions. Is Cadets percussion going to stay up there? NO! because that will take up a placeholder for a more competitive corps later down the road. Cadets percussion score will drop to make room for a more competitive corps, even though that corps percussion section isn't better than Cadets. 

It's the same with Boston. Boston is a point back from the Crownies and that's the way it's going to remain the rest of the season regardless of score. Cadets will be a favorite to watch, but they won't move up. IMO looks like a 8 or 9 slot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The opener gets "interrupted" a couple times, removing those would really help them build energy - particularly the "on the road" brass moment, cut that!

the second (long) section of narration needs clipped from the jazz section = adds nothing

need to visually clear out folks around the percussion features, feels very cluttered in those spots

I realize there's more to tag on to the end, wouldn't do it until they get a LOT cleaner - feet are really hurting those drum/brass scores

The "I'm half way across the country" narration part doesn't make much sense with the corps all the way on side one standing behind "the west" sign

just some random thoughts... I think they're heading to 7th, as long as they get clean, the score particularly GE, was concerning tonight > judges may think the signs are too small just a hunch plus it wasn't a great run JMO

Good suggestions. I actually like the show as it is. For me personally if the Cadets did nothing but clean this show from here to Finals I would have no problem with that. 

I think the narration is incredibly good but I suspect they will cut some and tweak some. I always get the sense that the "Half way Across the Country" section is more about his emotions and not a physical location. The way the Cadets use the field is wonderful this year. 

From a competitive standpoint the only top spots that are spoken for are the top 5. From 6 on down I think every position is up for grabs. That's exciting for DCI and the fans. Cadets could grab 6th with a push to the end and the right tweaks, but I agree with you that it might be easier to hit 7th. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Agree! The best Cadet corps were all under the direction of GH, and I'm not convinced they will win another Championship if ever again.

I have them as my sleeper corps because I love this show. The problem with moving up won't be performance or improvement related, but because the judging won't allow for it. Looking at recaps, I'm seeing way too many subcaptions where a single tenth is separating placement. How can anyone define a tenth? What is that difference in relation to? There's no room to slot let alone allow for movement to close gaps when every judge is staking corps a tenth apart from each other in subcaptions. Is Cadets percussion going to stay up there? NO! because that will take up a placeholder for a more competitive corps later down the road. Cadets percussion score will drop to make room for a more competitive corps, even though that corps percussion section isn't better than Cadets. 

It's the same with Boston. Boston is a point back from the Crownies and that's the way it's going to remain the rest of the season regardless of score. Cadets will be a favorite to watch, but they won't move up. IMO looks like a 8 or 9 slot.

Cadets need to take a long hard look at the current visual and design staff. It doesn't look like the current staff will get Cadets back into the top 6 along with winning another Championship anytime soon but who do they bring in  to get them back to the top 6 level again. Also, Cadets score is exactly where it should be and I agree they will be in the 7th-8th slot but maybe they will surprise us and take the 6th slot by Indy.

7 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Cadets need to take a long hard look at the current visual and design staff. It doesn't look like the current staff will get Cadets back into the top 6 along with winning another Championship anytime soon but who do they bring in  to get them back to the top 6 level again. Also, Cadets score is exactly where it should be and I agree they will be in the 7th-8th slot but maybe they will surprise us and take the 6th slot by Indy.

Just my opinion but I would do nothing of the sort. Their visual and design staff have done a fantastic job with this show. Let the Cadets allow this staff to build and develop together. The worst thing they could do is go "Magical Staff Hunting." It takes years for a staff to grow and develop the chemistry. Whatever "Magical" names they bring in will likely result in other adjustments needing to be made from other staff. Hence for every new member coming in the front door you have 2 exiting the back door. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

With these fan boy band judges, we're never going to see another Oakland that's for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Just my opinion but I would do nothing of the sort. Their visual and design staff have done a fantastic job with this show. Let the Cadets allow this staff to build and develop together. The worst thing they could do is go "Magical Staff Hunting." It takes years for a staff to grow and develop the chemistry. Whatever "Magical" names they bring in will likely result in other adjustments needing to be made from other staff. Hence for every new member coming in the front door you have 2 exiting the back door. 

I agree. Last summer I spoke with a few Cadets volunteers at the airport. It was a very different conversation from one I had with some volunteers in 2019, My sense from the conversations is that a major goal for the corps is stability which given the difficulties of 2018-2019 not to mention long term concerns such as the financial issues, the revolving door of staff, and the erratic behavior of the longtime former director who needed to step aside long before allegations surfaced, creating stability is a huge task. As I watched the corps in Quincy and Lynn as well as preparing for the Wakefield July 4th parade, albeit in very limited ways, Cadets seemed more organized, orderly, and disciplined than in the past few years, almost what you would have seen ten to fifteen years ago.

I’m thinking that Cadets will be 7th this year. They could place higher if SCV’s scores are overly inflated or Cavies collapse but I don’t think either will be the case. There is also the possibility of Blue Stars or Mandarins giving them grief, but I still predict 7th. However if Cadets continues to stabilize, maybe add a few new faces to the staff but works to create a team, and can retain veterans, 7th and 2022 will be a stepping stone to better things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I’m thinking that Cadets will be 7th this year. They could place higher if SCV’s scores are overly inflated or Cavies collapse but I don’t think either will be the case. There is also the possibility of Blue Stars or Mandarins giving them grief, but I still predict 7th. However if Cadets continues to stabilize, maybe add a few new faces to the staff but works to create a team, and can retain veterans, 7th and 2022 will be a stepping stone to better things.

Yes...6th place through 9th or more will be a tough challenge. Mandarins are going to be a tough corps to top. Cavaliers will clean it up. Blue Stars are looking very good. Phantom has what many consider the most enjoyable show of the summer, especially from a music perspective. The Cadets are fantastic and I love the show but they have some good competition this summer. I think that 6th to 9th place competition is going to be one of the better groupings this summer. Should be exciting for fans. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Agree! The best Cadet corps were all under the direction of GH

lol yes, and all taught and designed by folks hired before he was put in charge. The members are MUCH better off without him, as are the entire staff, the volunteers and everyone else... Don't give that man ANY credit.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

lol yes, and all taught and designed by folks hired before he was put in charge. The members are MUCH better off without him, as are the entire staff, the volunteers and everyone else... Don't give that man ANY credit.

Yes and amen!  Regardless of placement then or now, he was and is a cancer to the entire activity.

• Like 2