THE CADETS 2022 SHOW

I just posted this on my FB page, so I figured "what the heck" and will post it here also. 

THE CADETS DRILL WRITER Jon Bilby ... If DCI had their version of the "Espys" (ESPN awards) you would get DCI Newcomer Drill Writer of the Year award.

I was just rewatching the San Antonio show and your attention to detail in 1) dropping off and picking up small groups and soloists... 2) Dropping off people to move props...3) (Watch this one carefully Cadets fans) over time how the Cadets get out of the cream jackets...all the way to the intro to the ballad! 4) The mix of old skool run and gun and new school staging? Shut... the ... front ... door! You are good! Thank you for being a part of The Cadets all these years and you have done a masterful job this year!

People... especially judges... you need to watch what I wrote above and take note of this in John's drill for the Cadets. THIS is what drill writers in our activity really don't do well, unless you are one of the Master Drill Writers (Gaines, Murphy, May, Sacktig, Johnny V). John Bilby is a super good drill writer.

The judges need to recognize these ensemble compositional skills and the details needed to not just create effect, but the details... the math and structure... of what John Bilby is doing!

If you are not watching closely, you are missing the subtlety of what makes a great drill writer... great... and how good the product they have designed... is.

Reward it please? 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

I just posted this on my FB page, so I figured "what the heck" and will post it here also. 

THE CADETS DRILL WRITER Jon Bilby ... If DCI had their version of the "Espys" (ESPN awards) you would get DCI Newcomer Drill Writer of the Year award.

I agree that he's done a great job. And the best part is that he's a teacher in England (not Indiana or some other marching hotbed). 

I just wanted to share these photos here. I took these of Cadets at the Statesboro show. I was thinking today and looking at my photos on my phone and was thinking that I will not get to see them again this season, but it sure was a real treat listening to them warm-up!

A show within the the show as they say 🙂

20220710_192214

20220710_191703

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

I just wanted to share these photos here. I took these of Cadets at the Statesboro show. I was thinking today and looking at my photos on my phone and was thinking that I will not get to see them again this season, but it sure was a real treat listening to them warm-up!

A show within the the show as they say 🙂

20220710_192214

20220710_191703

love it

16 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I agree that he's done a great job. And the best part is that he's a teacher in England (not Indiana or some other marching hotbed). 

And a thoroughly nice guy with his heart in the right place and always putting the kids first 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

I was just rewatching the San Antonio show and your attention to detail in 1) dropping off and picking up small groups and soloists... 2) Dropping off people to move props...3) (Watch this one carefully Cadets fans) over time how the Cadets get out of the cream jackets...all the way to the intro to the ballad! 4) The mix of old skool run and gun and new school staging? Shut... the ... front ... door! You are good! Thank you for being a part of The Cadets all these years and you have done a masterful job this year!

People... especially judges... you need to watch what I wrote above and take note of this in John's drill for the Cadets. THIS is what drill writers in our activity really don't do well, unless you are one of the Master Drill Writers (Gaines, Murphy, May, Sacktig, Johnny V). John Bilby is a super good drill writer.

The judges need to recognize these ensemble compositional skills and the details needed to not just create effect, but the details... the math and structure... of what John Bilby is doing!

If you are not watching closely, you are missing the subtlety of what makes a great drill writer... great... and how good the product they have designed... is.

Reward it please? 

Bilby is a great guy

• Like 1

Happy to see the Cadets with  days off from competition...With more quality rest in the midst of a heat wave, their physical recovery is a good SCORE in and of itself..Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, njthundrrd said:

Reward it please? 

Did he write the entire show or was there help from others?

1 minute ago, Algernon said:

Did he write the entire show or was there help from others?

I believe he wrote the entire show (as he did last year too).