Tour Premiere

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Attending the Tour Premier this year. It's a five-hour drive. I've never been to Detroit, however, so I'm curious about the downtown.

I expect the shows to be rough. Also expect to cringe if I drove five hours to watch the corps roll a bunch of junk onto the field. C'est la vie.

I've attended a couple of premiere events in Indy & went the first year to Detroit before COVID.  I flew into DTW, which is about 30-40 drive to the downtown area, rented a car, & then stayed Downtown.  (Walked to Ford Field.)  Was surprised at the work/improvements to the downtown area & also found some great food.  With rental car, I went to Crown's ensemble practice, toured the Henry Ford Museum, & drove across the river to Windsor.  (Windsor was everything I expected; and more. 😂)  

The shows for the premiere have always seemed to be more polished since they are airing nationwide.  (I'm sure this is encouraged or required by DCI for this event?)  If I remember correctly, all performing groups had the complete show for the most part.  But of course, all of those groups will tweak & change the ending by finals anyway.  

I wanted to go back this year, but I have a conflict with a school event.  Maybe next year...          

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Was surprised at the work/improvements to the downtown area & also found some great food.  With rental car, I went to Crown's ensemble practice, toured the Henry Ford Museum, & drove across the river to Windsor.

Thanks for this. I'll spend some time thinking about things to do afternoon before and day after.

Think I saw tour premiers in Indianapolis maybe 2016-2018. And you're right, the shows were really fine for starting the tour. I appreciate that Bluecoats, Cavies, and others consistently put themselves out there for broadcast in the TP.

In 2019 I was out west and caught the TP in a theater the night before a nice show in Clovis. My only theater viewing of drum corps, and it wasn't so satisfying. But I might have thought differently if I was not about to see shows live in Clovis and Stanford.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjoakes said:

In 2019 I was out west and caught the TP in a theater the night before a nice show in Clovis. My only theater viewing of drum corps, and it wasn't so satisfying. But I might have thought differently if I was not about to see shows live in Clovis and Stanford.

I found movie theater viewing of shows to be a mixed bag over the years...but it never stopped me from viewing live shows...and having a flo subscription as well...guess I'm a drumcorps junkie..

17 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I've attended a couple of premiere events in Indy & went the first year to Detroit before COVID.  I flew into DTW, which is about 30-40 drive to the downtown area, rented a car, & then stayed Downtown.  (Walked to Ford Field.)  Was surprised at the work/improvements to the downtown area & also found some great food.  With rental car, I went to Crown's ensemble practice, toured the Henry Ford Museum, & drove across the river to Windsor.  (Windsor was everything I expected; and more. 😂)  

The shows for the premiere have always seemed to be more polished since they are airing nationwide.  (I'm sure this is encouraged or required by DCI for this event?)  If I remember correctly, all performing groups had the complete show for the most part.  But of course, all of those groups will tweak & change the ending by finals anyway.  

I wanted to go back this year, but I have a conflict with a school event.  Maybe next year...          

Agree with you about Windsor, Ontario. We were staying in Windsor for the old Ypsilanti show years ago. Had a free night so we went down to a bar on the river with outside seating overlooking the Detroit skyline. What a beautiful night-not sure which was better-the Detroit skyline or the Molson beers.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 4:16 PM, keystone3ply said:

Yup, I spent a good part of my youth in Windsor. I marched two years with the Windsor Guardsmen, one as DM. 

• Like 1

I booked tickets for the FootHills Mall in Oro Valley. Never have been to that theater so I don’t know what to expect.