Who in your opinion is the best drill designer in D. C. I's history?

As jwillis35 said (above):

"The thing to consider when it comes to drill writing is that everyone was influenced by everyone else. The ideas are fluid and each new germ of an idea tends to lead others to try things."

Absolutely spot-on observation.

Edited by ironlips
clarity
  • Like 1

All of the above, but I would also include Greg Poklacki. Iโ€™m surprised he hasnโ€™t yet been mentioned. He wrote some stunning and organic drill for the Cavaliers in the mid 90s, including for their amazing 1995 championship show. His DNA helix and 3-D rotating planets at the end of the show are legendary effects!

Edited by ComicJeff2012
Grammar.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's going to depend on the era. mid 80s' to mid 90's, the top 2 are Zingali and Brubaker. then you have Gaines, Sacktig, even Murphy and Rosander for the next 15 -20 years...or more in some cases. I am sure i am missing names, but those are the ones that stand out to me.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. Those of us who have watched live drum corps for decades have seen quite an evolution.

ย 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

Michael Gainesย 

Ditto.ย  His stuff is so distinctive - every move is a massive form to a massive form.ย  No lines peeling off or sections acting on their own.ย  It's just big and grand and logical from start to finish, and it's so cool...

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Ditto.ย  His stuff is so distinctive - every move is a massive form to a massive form.ย  No lines peeling off or sections acting on their own.ย  It's just big and grand and logical from start to finish, and it's so cool...

Mike

I couldn't agree more. There are so many great drill designers in the history of this activity, but Gaines is just something special in our current time.ย 

He is just an incredible drill writer.ย 

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I couldn't agree more. There are so many great drill designers in the history of this activity, but Gaines is just something special in our current time.ย 

He is just an incredible drill writer.ย 

...so now SCV has gotta be your favorite corps, right?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Oooooooooh no lol I bleed kelly green

You should have that looked at.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1