Who in your opinion is the best drill designer in D. C. I's history?

Late to the Convo here but It has to be Michael Gaines. He was hip and Fresh in 2000 and he is hip and Fresh now. He has the distinction of knowing how to stage Guard really really well. His work in WGI keeps him at the Apex of Trends within the Guard world and he understands how to manipulate and stage Hornlines properly.

His work speaks for itself. 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 12:17 PM, ironlips said:

Scene: On a rainy evening outside the Newark Armory in 1970, three instructors in a parked car wait for the doors to open so Garfield's drill rehearsal can begin.

Pete (Emmons): "We need a cool set for White Rabbit, something nobody else would do."

Bobby (Hoffman): "Yeah, well how about this?" (Draws a Peace Sign with his finger in the condensation on the inside of the car's windshield.)

Pete: "Wow! That's REALLY cool, but who's gonna figure out how to get them into that from the previous set?"

Bobby: "You are, Mr. Trooper Circle."

Me: (Speechless, thinking "Nobody's ever gonna believe this".)

It was a great move. I got to march that 1970 drill, my first year in Garfield. I still remember the huge number of flash bulbs from the sudience at the Orange Bowl for VFW Nats as we moved forward with the big hit. I also remember your great ending to John Sasso’s arrangement. 

Bobby created amazing visual programs all three years I marched with Garfield. We did the Peace Sign all three years, and every year the creation of the form was very different.

The “America, the Brave” show from 1971 was an amazing program, and Bobby’s very different visual design really made the show special. 

Of course, his great visual programs for Bayonne cement his name as one of the greats.

Many people do not remember his great “traffic jam” move when he wrote for the Skyliners.

Edited by MikeD

Zingali.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

It was a great move. I got to march that 1970 drill, my first year in Garfield. I still remember the huge number of flash bulbs from the sudience at the Orange Bowl for VFW Nats as we moved forward with the big hit. I also remember your great ending to John Sasso’s arrangement. 

Bobby created amazing visual programs all three years I marched with Garfield. We did the Peace Sign all three years, and every year the creation of the form was very different.

The “America, the Brave” show from 1971 was an amazing program, and Bobby’s very different visual design really made the show special. 

Of course, his great visual programs for Bayonne cement his name as one of the greats.

Many people do not remember his great “traffic jam” move when he wrote for the Skyliners.

oh i remember that very well

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 12:09 PM, Sensioto said:

I have followed drum corps since 2010 as a super fan, but regretfully have so little knowledge predating that time. I have of course seen videos of shows on YouTube, but never got to experience it. Can anyone shed some light unto which corps each of these greats worked with and what years? I would love to further explore this question quantitatively.

May I suggest you google each name mentioned. You’ll get more than enough information for your research.

After all the opinions so far, I see how near impossible it is to reach a consensus on who is best, BUT the two guys who made me appreciate the possibilities and complexities  of this discipline are Zingali and Gaines...Mainly because I would have probably broken my ### trying to march in one of their shows....But seriously , they made me care about show design..And as DINO horn guy , that wasn't always a given..lol

• Like 1