Who in your opinion is the best drill designer in D. C. I's history?

20 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

.But seriously , they made me care about show design..And as DINO horn guy , that wasn't always a given..lol

Even moreso for dino drummers.

Us: What do we do?

M&M Instructor: See that 50 yard line? Don't step away from it. Back and forth. Back and forth. All the way until you see the rest of the corps leave the field. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

Zingali, Brubaker, Gaines, Saktig. 

And Brazale.

• Like 1

All of the individuals listed are iconic in their own way of what they have brought to the activity.  Hard to say who is better than another. 

Mentioned in this thread a few times but one of the most, if not the most successful, visual designer of all time is Jay Murphy.  Being the humble guy he is, he is one I'm sure that doesn't mind that he is often overlooked.  His impact not only on visual design but the color guard world is quite astounding.  I'm sure Todd Ryan can also be attributed to much of BD's success and Jay would say it was an entire team effort.  

He is the master of staging, right up there with Gaines.  The fluidity of his drills is a work of art where the progression of moving to the next stage is just...jaw dropping at times.  It's not pretty pictures or impactful moments, it is the whole design of the entire show.  It's why BD is successful.  

His caption titles with BD and excuse me if I miss anything.  

Color Guard Staff

Visual Designer
2012 (Tie)

Enough said. 

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

All of the individuals listed are iconic in their own way of what they have brought to the activity.  Hard to say who is better than another. 

Mentioned in this thread a few times but one of the most, if not the most successful, visual designer of all time is Jay Murphy.  Being the humble guy he is, he is one I'm sure that doesn't mind that he is often overlooked.  His impact not only on visual design but the color guard world is quite astounding.  I'm sure Todd Ryan can also be attributed to much of BD's success and Jay would say it was an entire team effort.  

He is the master of staging, right up there with Gaines.  The fluidity of his drills is a work of art where the progression of moving to the next stage is just...jaw dropping at times.  It's not pretty pictures or impactful moments, it is the whole design of the entire show.  It's why BD is successful.  

His caption titles with BD and excuse me if I miss anything.  

Color Guard Staff

Visual Designer
2012 (Tie)

Enough said. 

Enough said….Kudos to BD for their accomplishments but the topic is drill design not staging. There is a difference. Let the “discussion” begin.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Enough said….Kudos to BD for their accomplishments but the topic is drill design not staging. There is a difference. Let the “discussion” begin.

Agreed.  I think BD does incredible staging and articulates their theme well. Drill design ?  A few moments here and there I have been wowed by, but a collective no as far as best drill designer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Free Hand or Pyware, Hands down. 

Sparky Polastri

He is the king of  movement! 
Edited by boxingfred
rewrite
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:51 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Just commenting on one point:  Staging is a critical element of good design.  Placing musical sections in the appropriate places on the field integrated with other elements IS good design.  Look to Zingali’s time with Cadets for maximized staging impact and effective design.  Jay Murphy’s results speak for themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Just commenting on one point:  Staging is a critical element of good design.  Placing musical sections in the appropriate places on the field integrated with other elements IS good design.  Look to Zingali’s time with Cadets for maximized staging impact and effective design.  Jay Murphy’s results speak for themselves.

Then maybe we need to relook at the “era” of drill design we’re discussing because the idea of “staging” has taken on an entirely different meaning nowadays. Props/ body movement vs marching.

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Then maybe we need to relook at the “era” of drill design we’re discussing because the idea of “staging” has taken on an entirely different meaning nowadays. Props/ body movement vs marching.

I don’t believe “staging” as it relates movement of marching elements is any different than it has ever been.  Props may be elements on a stage.  But they are not elements of staging. Body move is not staging in any manner at all.  “Staging” relative to movement presents featured musical voices in a way to highlight them musically, whether they move or park.  Amplification has certainly changed staging because you don’t need to position voices to deliver particular phrases.  Integration of percussion and guard with brass (with current amplification of brass and percussion) has created a a new consideration of staging in the last few years.  At least that’s how I’m seeing it in the past few years.