Diesel shortages?

Yeah, my brother works out one of the local grocery stores and their truck was canceled due to shortage. I'm actually REALLY concerned.... and on top of that gas is expensive. It's over $4 a gallon in Texas... that should never happen. I just hope that things can get better sooner rather than later. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Yeah, my brother works out one of the local grocery stores and their truck was canceled due to shortage. I'm actually REALLY concerned.... and on top of that gas is expensive. It's over $4 a gallon in Texas... that should never happen. I just hope that things can get better sooner rather than later. 

$4.49 for gasoline. I just looked at GasBuddy and diesel is $5.69 here. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see diesel being rationed. California has been converting diesel refineries into biodiesel hubs. Might be good for the future but poses a real problem right now. 

Oh great. California creating more Biodiesel will add to the current vegetable oil shortages; plus California's ridiculous recent increase in gas and diesel taxes and their horrible 2017 fuel tax increases don't seem very good for organizations needing to use diesel vehicles and travel around there. Seems like they're imposing rationing through taxation.  Just not very good long term planning, or wholistic planning from that state right now.

https://www.treehugger.com/vegetable-oil-shortage-sustainable-system-5271491

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/californias-gas-tax-will-increase-on-july-1-heres-how-much-it-will-cost/ar-AAWQGzV

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Not only the diesel... we're facing a huge economic collapse a la 2008... but probably more like 1929.

What do our corps do if this hits while they're on the road? 

Just hoping the poop misses the fan until after tour finishes.  

(I know right?... quite cheerful today... lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ranintothedoor said:

Not only the diesel... we're facing a huge economic collapse a la 2008... but probably more like 1929.

You’re being realistic.  And I appreciate that.  We don’t all live with our head in the clouds.  There are real world events bearing down on us.   This diesel shortage also affects farm diesel.  Farmers are already reeling from the price of fertilizer.  A farm diesel shortage paired with truckers just not moving their rigs because it’s too expensive (yes, that’s already happening), and drum corps may be the least of our worries. 

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’re being realistic.  And I appreciate that.  We don’t all live with our head in the clouds.  There are real world events bearing down on us.   This diesel shortage also affects farm diesel.  Farmers are already reeling from the price of fertilizer.  A farm diesel shortage paired with truckers just not moving their rigs because it’s too expensive (yes, that’s already happening), and drum corps may be the least of our worries. 

Bingo! Thanks Terri! This is my thought exactly.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

i don't think we'll hit 2008 levels because of some of the stuff put into place afterwards. But with pretty much every corps doing fewer shows than past years, that should help a little. But in 2007 and 2008 we had extremely high gas prices, and hell in 07 they went to Cali for finals.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1

I can picture a corps (or more) on the road and all of a sudden, as diesel prices continue to climb, corps can't afford fuel and parents are called to come and get their kid. It could , and probably will, happen this summer. I hope they have the finances.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1