Diesel shortages?

On 6/7/2022 at 8:17 PM, Swamptihs said:

In Texas ,,,,, I work for oil and gas today 5:25 welcome to the future party pal. 

dude was talking about 2007 and 2008 WE wish it was.

well like pretty much every economist out there i got it wrong.

but ya gotta admit, those oil and gas companies profits hit record highs so far this year didn't they?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but ya gotta admit, those oil and gas companies profits hit record highs so far this year didn't they?

Pretty amazing how all of the sudden this year the oil companies got greedy  I am glad that 2 years ago they were not greedy and they gave us low prices.   Maybe they knew corps would be back on the road.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well like pretty much every economist out there i got it wrong.

Not anywhere I see.  There was a flurry of headlines that say "record profits"... but after the first five such articles refuted their own headlines, I stopped searching.  They all tout first-quarter profits being much higher than first quarter 2021, when everyone was staying home waiting for vaccines.  Color me unsurprised.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Pretty amazing how all of the sudden this year the oil companies got greedy  I am glad that 2 years ago they were not greedy and they gave us low prices.   Maybe they knew corps would be back on the road.

Maybe they knew everybody wanted to get back on the road…

I retired two weeks before things started locking down. Now finally trying to set up a close to 1000 mile round trip to see family. 😫

The US Energy Information Administration released their monthly short-term energy outlook yesterday and they are forecasting gas and diesel wholesale margins will be dropping over the summer bringing cost per gallon down slightly. They are projecting a national average for diesel of  $4.78/gal in Q3-2022. This is up from the $4.57/gal they projected in April. 

Hopefully prices will peak soon and we will start seeing a small reduction in costs as the touring season begins. I assume the corps who lease bus and tractor services long ago negotiated contracts for the summer that include fuel. The large transportation companies in turn negotiate bulk fuel buys many months in advance. What we see reported in the news daily is the cost at the pump but not exactly what large corporate consumers pay. 

The cost is considerably higher this year that last summer or any summer since 2008, a summer, when factoring in inflation over the past 14 years fuel costs were higher. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Not anywhere I see.  There was a flurry of headlines that say "record profits"... but after the first five such articles refuted their own headlines, I stopped searching.  They all tout first-quarter profits being much higher than first quarter 2021, when everyone was staying home waiting for vaccines.  Color me unsurprised.

I think the anger comes from gas prices increasing prior to the price of oil per barrel increasing, but the oil companies claimed the increase was due to a lack of refineries. Now we have the combination of not enough refineries and higher oil prices.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think the anger comes from gas prices increasing prior to the price of oil per barrel increasing, but the oil companies claimed the increase was due to a lack of refineries. Now we have the combination of not enough refineries and higher oil prices.

Sad part is the lack of refinery capacity has been going on for years. Supposedly the companies don’t want to take the $$$ hit by shutting down to upgrade what they have.

Corps related as hits corps and fans in the pocketbook.

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sad part is the lack of refinery capacity has been going on for years. Supposedly the companies don’t want to take the $$$ hit by shutting down to upgrade what they have.

Corps related as hits corps and fans in the pocketbook.

Color me unsurprised again.  Would you invest in a costly refinery upgrade when the consensus is that society will be decreasing fossil fuel use?