Diesel shortages?

1 hour ago, Swamptihs said:

REGULATIONS have control over prices. 

Some places.... Some places regulate gas prices, and others do NOT.

When I was driving North from Louisiana to St. Louis during Katrina, regulations didn't stop $5+ gas prices at the pump.  ...and stations wanted to be paid in cash too... Go figure about those regulations...

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Attempting to steer this back 

So, which Corps will get the most donations for their fuel fund?

And which corps have the most miles to travel during their tour? 

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And which corps have the most miles to travel during their tour? 

Not sure on the totals, but it would seem that nobody is traveling further for that first show in Detroit than BAC. It is two days out there and then two days straight back to Boston for their home show in Quincy.  It would seem that Hyde Park decided it was a priority to come out swinging early on.

• Like 3

inappropriate comments removed, suspension issued - we sincerely appreciate the efforts to keep the discussion intelligent and relevant.  good information.

I keep checking for shortage reports and they seem to be random for now, rising prices still seem to be having the biggest impact.  But the collateral issue of driver shortages might be a bigger problem.  If I understand it correctly, besides retirements of a large number of experienced drivers a lot of independent contractors are declining long haul work in favor of more profitable local delivery work?  not sure...

31 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

But the collateral issue of driver shortages might be a bigger problem.  If I understand it correctly, besides retirements of a large number of experienced drivers a lot of independent contractors are declining long haul work in favor of more profitable local delivery work?  not sure...

Have a cousin who just retired from being a 2-3 day route driver. Would be interesting to ask him about this as he keeps up with what is going on in the industry. That’s one of the people I was planning to see on my 1000 mile trip but having problems getting a good time to go. (Nothing like juggling schedules of 3 families and me. And one not retired so weekend only is best) 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

24 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

inappropriate comments removed, suspension issued - we sincerely appreciate the efforts to keep the discussion intelligent and relevant.  good information.

I keep checking for shortage reports and they seem to be random for now, rising prices still seem to be having the biggest impact.  But the collateral issue of driver shortages might be a bigger problem.  If I understand it correctly, besides retirements of a large number of experienced drivers a lot of independent contractors are declining long haul work in favor of more profitable local delivery work?  not sure...

Understandable.  You make a little less than the OTR drivers but your fuel costs are lower.  My Dad was an OTR truck driver for his entire adult life until the day he died in his sleep.   I can only imagine what he’d be saying now about diesel prices and chuckle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have a cousin who just retired from being a 2-3 day route driver. Would be interesting to ask him about this as he keeps up with what is going on in the industry. That’s one of the people I was planning to see on my 1000 mile trip but having problems getting a good time to go. 😫

We’re driving to Beaufort, SC tomorrow. I estimate it will cost twice as much for gasoline than it would have last year.  And I did something I’ve never done before.  I was at BJ’s for household supplies and the gasoline is about $.20 less there.  Despite having a nearly full tank, after I shopped, I topped off my tank with about 1 1/2 gallons of gas.  $6.38. 🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We’re driving to Beaufort, SC tomorrow. I estimate it will cost twice as much for gasoline than it would have last year.  And I did something I’ve never done before.  I was at BJ’s for household supplies and the gasoline is about $.20 less there.  Despite having a nearly full tank, after I shopped, I topped off my tank with about 1 1/2 gallons of gas.  $6.38. 🤦‍♀️

Always want to top off when at Costco when there every 2-3 weeks (I don’t live close by). Then I see the lines and wonder how much I’d burn waiting for the pump. 😨

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Always want to top off when at Costco when there every 2-3 weeks. Then I see the lines and wonder how much I’d burn waiting for the pump. 😨

If I still lived up north, I wouldn’t.  Too crowded.  But I never have to wait here in Hooterville. 

• Haha 2