Diesel shortages?

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

I can picture a corps (or more) on the road and all of a sudden, as diesel prices continue to climb, corps can't afford fuel and parents are called to come and get their kid. It could , and probably will, happen this summer. I hope they have the finances.

It’s not just the cost. It’s the predicted shortages.  I sat in gas lines in 1973.  It’s no fun.  We’ll get past the high fuel costs but if they put in price controls, there will be shortages.  It happened then and it will happen now.  Corps didn’t tour extensively then, either.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’re being realistic.  And I appreciate that.  We don’t all live with our head in the clouds.  There are real world events bearing down on us.   This diesel shortage also affects farm diesel.  Farmers are already reeling from the price of fertilizer.  A farm diesel shortage paired with truckers just not moving their rigs because it’s too expensive (yes, that’s already happening), and drum corps may be the least of our worries. 

I will point out that Agricultural Diesel is not taxed the same way as road, or "regular" diesel, so my previous rant about California's fuel tax increases over the last several years is moot on Ag Diesel. Still have to pay sales taxes on Ag diesel, but that's much cheaper than ~$1.00 per gallon addon California charges to punish evil automobile owners...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

I can picture a corps (or more) on the road and all of a sudden, as diesel prices continue to climb, corps can't afford fuel and parents are called to come and get their kid. It could , and probably will, happen this summer. I hope they have the finances.

Yep.. i was picturing this sinareo in my head. I only pray for this to not happen.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:50 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I just looked at GasBuddy and diesel is $5.69 here. 

It's well over $6 in this part of PA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

It's well over $6 in this part of PA. 

I haven’t looked on there today.  No drum corps come here anyway.  Having lived here for a summer last year, I don’t blame them.

$5.59 for diesel at SuperDay down the street.  The craziest gas station you’ve ever seen.  Like a low key Buc-ee’s.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I haven’t looked on there today.  No drum corps come here anyway.  Having lived here for a summer last year, I don’t blame them.

$5.59 for diesel at SuperDay down the street.  The craziest gas station you’ve ever seen.  Like a low key Buc-ee’s.

Maybe Corps should get a tanker-truck full of diesel & make it part of the convoy.

Or, DCI get a bunch & park them at San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, & Indy.

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Ugh, and I have to drive at least another 3,500 miles in the next two weeks as I've been moving cross country; about 1,700 miles in a diesel truck that gets 10 mpg, and then AROUND 1,700 miles back in a SUV that gets 20 mpg.

• Sad 1