WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE DCI CHAMPIONSHIP STADIUMS, AND WHY?

FAVORITE DCI CHAMPIONSHIP STADIUM

Madison, WI Camp Randall Stadium - Truly the most amazing audience vibe of any championship venue and the corps fed into to it with their performances.   Easy access to housing and great places to eat.  The sound is very good for the audience all of the way out the the 30 yardline with the exception of seats that are far back under the overhang.

LEAST FAVORITE DCI CHAMPIONSHIP STADIUM

I have a tie:

Montreal, Canada, Olympic Stadium -  DCI was fortunate not to have folded after this debacle.  Terrible sound, horribly organized.  DCI should have had a regional at this stadium first to get a read on the viability of this site.  

Indianapolis, IN, Lucas Oil Stadium -  The Drum & Bugle Corps activity has it's foundation on the musical performance.  Unfortunately, if you are sitting anywhere outside the 50 Yard Line, row 50, your musical experience is poor at best.   These musicians deserve a better stage to show their amazing skill.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITES AND LEAST FAVORITES?

• Like 1

Favorite (though this may be DQ'd since it was only used for Prelims, I believe):

Mc Gill University (1981 configuration) - fascinating town (Montreal), comfortable temperature, rake angle of the seating area provided spectacular drill views, excellent outdoor acoustic ambience.

Least favorite (by a wide margin):

Lucas Oil - terrible acoustics, poor lighting, mediocre sight lines. Solitary positive - no rain outs.

I would agree that Camp Randall is probably best overall, though Cornell sounded mighty good too, particularly when Anaheim rocked that house in '74.

• Like 2

Whitewater was always my favorite, though I wouldn't rate it as "best". There was just always something about that warm, home-like feeling of that place. 

Mile High in Denver would be second. 

Least would be LOS for similar reasons given by ironlips. 

• 3 weeks later...

Favorite for me.....Madison.......great sound....huge place......no negatives on the place.........

Least favorite: Lucas Oil/Indianapolis........the sound is very bad........parking is bad..........bad/slow concessions......I have stopped going there......too much money for the problems, and other than enjoying my visit to the Speedway,  not a place that I want to go to back every year, at a high cost....I actually liked Bloomington better, as the stadium there sounded fine, and all was better.......

Rose Bowl was not great due to the lights buzzing

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 6:21 PM, ironlips said:

Mc Gill University (1981 configuration) - fascinating town (Montreal), comfortable temperature, rake angle of the seating area provided spectacular drill views, excellent outdoor acoustic ambience.

I do remember the poor percussion sections trying to climb the gravel incline leading up to the corps entrance for prelims.  

• 3 weeks later...