Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The show is obviously not finished but I think it has potential.  But once again the uniforms add nothing.  Less is sometimes "more" but not in this case. 

I'm telling you. There is going to be some type of reveal with that uniform to add a huge splash of color to the show at some point. There has to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'm telling you. There is going to be some type of reveal with that uniform to add a huge splash of color to the show at some point. There has to be. 

I don't know...........they might just be Drum Corp's version of Penn State this year. 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Sideways said:

For anyone thinking that edgy power from the brass isn’t there this summer…wrong.  It’s still there…just not needed yet which makes the potential of this scary.

their brass are amazing this year.  already with a rich ensemble sound with a very challenging book for me, "edge" comes from playing great source material as well as it can possibly be played, and this hornline will do it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lance said:

their brass are amazing this year.  already with a rich ensemble sound with a very challenging book for me, "edge" comes from playing great source material as well as it can possibly be played, and this hornline will do it.  

Yes, I just don't get it. All the people predicting Vanguard 4th, 5th or 6th. This show is championship worthy IMO. I like it better than BD's show, although theirs is pretty #### good too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope something gives this show color. I enjoyed watching it but wasn't wowed like I was in 2018. I'm hoping there is something waiting in the wings for the unis which are extremely (and obviously) plain. The props are fine, but not particularly thought provoking. I don't love the direction they've been heading with their ballad music but it could clean up nicely. 

I honestly have no idea how this show will rate. I feel like all the talent is there to medal but if competition across the country is strong I could see them falling to fifth as many have predicted. 

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, I just don't get it. All the people predicting Vanguard 4th, 5th or 6th. This show is championship worthy IMO. I like it better than BD's show, although theirs is pretty #### good too.

I don't see it at all. It's a NICE show. 

I feel like the designers don't really know what made 2018 so popular or effective, and are just trying to blindly recreate that success without truly understanding how to make that happen. The music is bland, the same chromatic scalar gestures and isolated hits they've been doing for years without real long-form musical ideas that create cohesion or musical intelligence. The ballad is nice sounding (as they usually are), but feels more like a standalone entity than integrated into the show. Overall it's just kind of meh, lots of demand without any soul...and the uniforms are a big fail. I see them dropping out of the top 5.

Boot.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sensioto said:

I must admit, I listen to Babylon in my car at full volume and MAN was that hornline smoking, but outside of the brass, I have not fully appreciated a Vanguard show since 2016. Now that was a beautiful show. I want to again see another powerful opening statement, melodic runs, storytelling, and a soft ending and Cymbal "V" for good measure, but perhaps that's wishful thinking. Vanguard has always exuded class and elegance to me. Now they ooze talent (and always have), but something is just missing for me too. 

Yeah, let me be clear. I have a long history with the organization and have always loved the corps, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it's part of the larger issue of homogenization within the activity, but I don't feel any real identity here. On the other hand Blue Devils (who I'm not always a huge fan of), has a very clear corps centric POV that comes across successfully. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I feel like the designers don't really know what made 2018 so popular or effective, and are just trying to blindly recreate that success

I disagree with the first half of the quoted text but I agree with the second half

I for the life of me can't understand why this is happening though. There was plenty of continuity between 2017, 2018, and 2019, but each show was very distinct. 2022 so far feels like elements of each combined and as a result seems to be lacking in creativity, conceptually. I'm not sure if that's on the program coordinator, or it it perhaps goes to higher-ups in the "braintrust" or whatever you want to call it.