Santa Clara Vanguard 2022

Just now, Continental said:

I'm not responsible for keeping you up to date on what has been posted here.  

Have a nice day. 

So you have no point to make? Got it

I haven't been paying attention to the design team changes. I'm pretty disconnected from the activity at this point. Purely basing this on what I've seen on the field, but if there have been significant shifts in the team since 2018 it would make sense. There are people on that team that are fantastic technicians and will always put together a well written and demanding product, but larger form cohesion and musical expression is a different skillset entirely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope you have a wonderful day. 

If you have legitimate thoughts and opinions why not just restate them? I'm not trying to be coarse with you and am asking in good faith for you to clarify. It doesn't have to be this way buddy.

1 minute ago, valjean said:

If you have legitimate thoughts and opinions why not just restate them? I'm not trying to be coarse with you and am asking in good faith for you to clarify. It doesn't have to be this way buddy.

What happened to JD does not come from me.  It comes from others who have posted on this forum.  

• Thanks 1

What happened to JD does not come from me.  It comes from others who have posted on this forum.  

ah. Fair enough. 

Really looking forward to seeing what more of the show they are adding this week!  I know they have 3 rehearsal days in AZ to add more, but weather may play a factor.  Wow us with an incredible closer and max out the effect, and I think this corps can really go places.  Their music ensemble is at the top already...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reed said:

Really looking forward to seeing what more of the show they are adding this week!  I know they have 3 rehearsal days in AZ to add more, but weather may play a factor.  Wow us with an incredible closer and max out the effect, and I think this corps can really go places.  Their music ensemble is at the top already...

Unfortunately I don't think anything in a closer can fix their effect issues. It is a design fallacy (that many teams fall victim to) to think a closer that wraps up different threads automatically makes the show work. If you go 7.5 minutes without a cohesive show, and then try and tie everything up in the last 3 minutes, you still have 7.5 minutes where the judges and audience aren't feeling engaged with the show. 

Babylon stated clearly in both the music and visual package exactly what the show was in the first 30 seconds. Then they reinforced those ideas throughout the rest of the show. A couple vague references to a Nirvana track in the vibraphones/metallics that's obfuscated by overly dense arpeggiations in the woods (a texture that's used universally throughout the show), doesn't tell us what the show is about, or why we should care about what comes next. 

I think the show is fine, they will probably perform it very well, but it's not a winning, or even a medalist, program. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Anyone know where SCV is housed today through Tuesday? Their calendar isn't working