Costs vs fees

Tim Hintons newest podcast talks to the directors of Colts, Surf and Madison, and a staggering thought came up, which i know has been debated in many threads here.

the average cost to house, feed, transport and of course things like insurance is $9800 per kid...and dues run in the $5k range. they specifically stated the costs that led to that number, of which equipment, props, uniforms/costumes etc weren't part of it.

so for 60-70 days of housing, fuel/bus and food is $9800 a kid. so say $165 a day. 

think about what you spend a day on food, travel and housing. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Tim Hintons newest podcast talks to the directors of Colts, Surf and Madison, and a staggering thought came up, which i know has been debated in many threads here.

the average cost to house, feed, transport and of course things like insurance is $9800 per kid...and dues run in the $5k range. they specifically stated the costs that led to that number, of which equipment, props, uniforms/costumes etc weren't part of it.

so for 60-70 days of housing, fuel/bus and food is $9800 a kid. so say $165 a day. 

think about what you spend a day on food, travel and housing. 

It’s staggering, and yet the tuition is only affordable to the upper mid-class, and tuition is insufficient to cover the costs.  If you are in an economically underserved class, how can you reasonably join a corps? How is this a sustainable model? 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 5

For reference AAU basketball, traveling baseball/softball teams, all star cheer,  and dance teams can cost upwards of $10,000 a season. Usually the parents are driving or flying the kid around the country too. 

A gifted music kid taking private lessons, attending summer music camps, attending workshops/seminars, playing in the local youth orchestra, etc. can easily cost $20,000 to $30,000 a year. Have you looked at what it costs to attend Interlochen? The full six week summer camp is $9,950.                         

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s staggering, and yet the tuition is only affordable to the upper mid-class, and tuition is insufficient to cover the costs.  If you are in an economically underserved class, how can you reasonably join a corps? How is this a sustainable model? 

Maybe it's exactly what D.C.I. wants.. A quasi professional league of the finest musicians money can buy...No longer meant as a youth activity per se but rather a showcase for gifted musicians and dancers between ages 14-22 who add to their resumes drum corps for future references...imho

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I believe it and I don't blame DCI either.  They can't control the cost of housing, transportation and insurance.  It's sad that not any kid can take part in the activity anymore.

However,  many kids do, and corps try helping through alumni sponsorships and scholarships, payment plans.  Virtual camps have helped too.

• Like 2

I wont attempt to justify the costs to march an elite DCI Drum Corps these days, but by comparison, lots of youth sports ( despite longer season ) can cost more... and in some cases, LOTS more. AAU Ice Hockey, for example,  have price tags upwards of $17,000- $20,000  per year for youth participants these days now. Are these thousands of youth and their families that are paying well over 6-10 grand on their yearly costs for elite level youth ice hockey participation all wealthy ? Oh goodness, no.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chicagoyouthhockeyforum/aaa-hockey-cost-t11411.html

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s not.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I wont attempt to justify the costs to march an elite DCI Drum Corps these days, but by comparison, lots of youth sports ( despite longer season ) can cost more... and in some cases, LOTS more. AAU Ice Hockey, for example,  have price tags upwards of $17,000- $20,000  per year for youth participants these days now. Are these thousands of youth and their families that are paying well over 6-10 grand on their yearly costs for elite level youth ice hockey participation all wealthy ? Oh goodness, no.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chicagoyouthhockeyforum/aaa-hockey-cost-t11411.html

All true.  But, it doesn’t change the fact that in touring drum corps, it’s not sustainable.  And we are definitely trending toward a economic downturn.

So the 11-week full-time drum corps model with housing and food included costs more than the locally based, bring-lunch-money corps of yesteryear.

If anyone believes that to be an existential problem, the solution is clear.  But the reaction that solution gets every time it is proposed suggests that virtually no one considers this to be an existential problem.  I would go as far as to say that the DCI community has a consensus commitment to providing that 11-week full-time drum corps "experience".