Costs vs fees

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Actually, one of our drum instructors marched with you.

And yes, colorful characters.  Size of some sections would fluctuate depending on who was or was not in jail that week. 

I remember chipping in for bail money while at a show for someone who got busted in Wisconsin.  😂  I think that was 1976. 

• Haha 3

Concerning costs for this season, charter bus contracts generally have a clause (in the fine print) that passes an increase in fuel costs on to the chartering organization.   Fuel costs are at record highs. In 2019, diesel cost $3.10/ gal; today it is $5.16/gal - roughly a 40% increase.  So there may be an unanticipated bill coming from the bus companies.  I hope the Corps have budgeted for this.

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And these programs are also aimed at upper-middle class youths.  Just like current Drum Corps.  And there are ways that some with less resources can participate, just like Drum Corps.  But the era of a youngster walking in from the street obtaining an affordable life-changing, character-building experience is long past.  And I think the activity is worse off for it.

true. but even trying to start one at that level will cost a whole lot more now than it did then. finding a free place to rehearse is going to be a challenge, and you need equipment. you have to have insurance and of course back ground checks

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Concerning costs for this season, charter bus contracts generally have a clause (in the fine print) that passes an increase in fuel costs on to the chartering organization.   Fuel costs are at record highs. In 2019, diesel cost $3.10/ gal; today it is $5.16/gal - roughly a 40% increase.  So there may be an unanticipated bill coming from the bus companies.  I hope the Corps have budgeted for this.

based on the fundraising appeals i see more and more as the season gets closer, i'd say corps are trying to build up the reserves

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

based on the fundraising appeals i see more and more as the season gets closer, i'd say corps are trying to build up the reserves

True! But a few less corps won’t impact the activity as a whole. The big dogs always eat first. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and there's costs associated with that. many bands charge fees to participate

And some are pretty expensive- my kid’s high school was only about 400 for the season but I know of some well north of $1000.  And those programs aren’t providing food except a week of band camp and travel is only four or five Saturdays on a school bus.  At least one Independent WGI is $1600+, is weekend only and covers no transportation (except to Dayton), food or housing.  
DCI is expensive but it isn’t for what’s covered.  Many times, one issue is that kids don’t start planning and talking to their parents early when they first become interested.  The last couple of years, Covid shutdown high school marching band programs so the pool of interested kids has dropped too.  Hopefully, high school marching band will come back to full membership in a couple years and that will help.

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

True! But a few less corps won’t impact the activity as a whole. The big dogs always eat first. 

membership concerns are more of an issue right now than gas costs in Open Class. but sadly losing more corps doesn't help the activity. many kids need that level to gain the skills to get the WC level, and after the last 2 years, high school programs are in a serious rebound outside of those mega bands living the BOA life. if we continue to reduce our talent pool to those places alone...goodbye

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

And some are pretty expensive- my kid’s high school was only about 400 for the season but I know of some well north of $1000.  And those programs aren’t providing food except a week of band camp and travel is only four or five Saturdays on a school bus.  At least one Independent WGI is $1600+, is weekend only and covers no transportation (except to Dayton), food or housing.  
DCI is expensive but it isn’t for what’s covered.  Many times, one issue is that kids don’t start planning and talking to their parents early when they first become interested.  The last couple of years, Covid shutdown high school marching band programs so the pool of interested kids has dropped too.  Hopefully, high school marching band will come back to full membership in a couple years and that will help.

thats going to take a while, because the feeder programs...elementary and middle school also got hit hard.