Costs vs fees

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

1960s drum corps still exists, but it's called "high school marching band." The kids live at home, they don't travel for rehearsals, few overnights, parent volunteers managing a lot of the logistics,. they ride on school busses to shows, etc, etc.

The current members in DCI drum corps have already had that experience. They want to push it to the next level. Going back to the old style makes little sense (it already exists - see above), and would kill the activity dead.

High school marching band already existed 100 years ago.  Can you remind me why we ever had junior drum corps?  Because by the logic of your post, it should have never happened.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

High school marching band already existed 100 years ago.  Can you remind me why we ever had junior drum corps?  Because by the logic of your post, it should have never happened.

we had it because the veterans groups and churches wanted it. HS bands didnt compete back then, but even as far back as the infamous Holy Name/Cadets split in the late 50's, some of those groups started pulling back because they needed money for other things church related.

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The question is where is the tipping point?  What is the minimum number of Corps needed for DCI to survive?

The touring model is not sustainable for the majority of current organizations regardless of their class. The million dollar mark to tour is a difficult nut to crack yearly. The equal distribution of all earnings might help delay the inevitable. Maybe 10 to 12 is the minimum. 

4 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The touring model is not sustainable for the majority of current organizations regardless of their class. The million dollar mark to tour is a difficult nut to crack yearly. The equal distribution of all earnings might help delay the inevitable. Maybe 10 to 12 is the minimum. 

Well, that would make semi-finals:

1.  Less competitive at the 10-12 place, &

2. Not last as long. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said: many kids need that level to gain the skills to get the WC level, and after the last 2 years, high school programs are in a serious rebound outside of those mega bands living the BOA life. if we continue to reduce our talent pool to those places alone...goodbye

I’ve never seen any statistics showing the percentage of students who marched OC that went on to WC. I’m inclined to believe it is a small percentage compared to those who only did WC. 

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I’ve never seen any statistics showing the percentage of students who marched OC that went on to WC. I’m inclined to believe it is a small percentage compared to those who only did WC. 

from what i remember of a study done a few years ago, it was more than i imagined, especially in the lower Wc corps.

but seeing it drop to 10-12 corps total is not going to be a long lasting strategy for survival. it'll just make the G7 eventually come true.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThatGuy2900 said:

For reference AAU basketball, traveling baseball/softball teams, all star cheer,  and dance teams can cost upwards of $10,000 a season. Usually the parents are driving or flying the kid around the country too. 

A gifted music kid taking private lessons, attending summer music camps, attending workshops/seminars, playing in the local youth orchestra, etc. can easily cost $20,000 to $30,000 a year. Have you looked at what it costs to attend Interlochen? The full six week summer camp is $9,950.                         

Just finished two years of AAU.  Cost $2,100 the first year, including hotels, and cost $1,200 the second year, and we had to provide hotels. Very few kids are participating in the "national" touring teams, and those that are aren't paying it themselves.

Mike

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Tim Hintons newest podcast talks to the directors of Colts, Surf and Madison, and a staggering thought came up, which i know has been debated in many threads here.

the average cost to house, feed, transport and of course things like insurance is $9800 per kid...and dues run in the $5k range. they specifically stated the costs that led to that number, of which equipment, props, uniforms/costumes etc weren't part of it.

so for 60-70 days of housing, fuel/bus and food is $9800 a kid. so say $165 a day. 

think about what you spend a day on food, travel and housing. 

For our OC corps, the armchair math came out to about $90/day in 2019, though we didn't really count it like that.  But including move ins, it was about 56 days total, so a much shorter tour.  

I do agree - I'm just not sure how this is sustainable in the long run, especially asking kids to foot a higher and higher bill.  While I do get the argument that $5,500 is a relative bargain, it only matters if you have the $5,500 to begin with.  😞

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3