Costs vs fees

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

somewhat..i know one circuit here started in 1959, but really the trend of competitive marching band didnt really start to pick up steam everywhere until the 70's. some small pockets here and there before then, but it really took off in the early and mid 70's.

High school marching bands have been competing since the 1920s (if not earlier....that is just the limit of my knowledge).  

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

High school marching bands have been competing since the 1920s (if not earlier....that is just the limit of my knowledge).  

I clearly remember going to the MBA(which is now BOA) championships in Whitewater while I was still marching.  It was either 77 or 78. 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Curious… where was this at.

Know American Legion had Post MB competition along with the DCs back in the 20s and 30s. HS is news to me.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

cool. but nowhere near as to  the explosion of it in the last 50 years.

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Curious… where was this at.

Know American Legion had Post MB competition along with the DCs back in the 20s and 30s. HS is news to me.

Not sure about this references, but it states the first HS national marching band competition was 1923 in Chicago to promote instrumental music programs in schools & foster a relationship with manufacturers.  Interesting site:  

http://www.betweenbands.org/historyofmarchingbands.html 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Not sure about this references, but it states the first HS national marching band competition was 1923 in Chicago to promote instrumental music programs in schools & foster a relationship with manufacturers.  Interesting site:  

Neato will have to read and save this when I have time. Reminds me to dig out the Conn ad from 1929 in Legion magazine. Has Post band from my town but never did find out where the Post was located. (Disbanded ????)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

if i could get it to load i'll be very interested to read it all!

• Like 1

Had to laugh a little when I saw that in 1929 the class B winner of the   national band competition was the Michigan Reform School...I don't know if it meant then what I came to understand as "Reform" School  but half of my corps would probably have qualified to march with them..lol

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Had to laugh a little when I saw that in 1929 the class B winner of the   national band competition was the Michigan Reform School...I don't know if it meant then what I came to understand as "Reform" School  but half of my corps would probably have qualified to march with them..lol

Would have been an interesting judges meeting if they hadn’t won. 😬 

Anyone else ever see the old Bowery Boys/Dead End Kids movies. 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Mr. Warren used to get kids from the juvenile detention facility for the color guard.  I heard that right from guys who marched in Cavaliers way back.  I marched with them in the RA Reunion corps.  The stories I heard those two years… 😳😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1