Costs vs fees

I listened to the same podcast this morning. Another thing that stood out to me was that the current model is actually a reaction to student needs/desires. I am the parent of a current marching member and if it were to be another limited tour this summer he wasn't interested in marching again. He started in an OC group and is now in his third season with a finalist group. 

And I quote my kid "...if Drum Corps went to a shorter tour and shorter spring training, therefore easier shows, It is just more high school band and I did that...I'm out."

We did the competitive sports thing too and it was just as much if not more expensive than Drum Corps and no where near as beneficial nor inclusive.

If it were only about costs, the cheaper corps would be full and they are not. In fact, they are the ones with the most openings. Shorter tours...not the answer either as OC groups are on the look out to fill membership. 

I'm not saying that we should do nothing to help but when was the last time we volunteered or donated? Purchased a T from the souvie stand? A great way to give is to sponsor a meal so look on your fav's socials and make it happen. Donate to scholarship funds or start one up. Lend a hand when they stop near you; kitchens always need hands. Just do something...anything to make it better.  

• Thanks 4

It's been my belief for a couple of years now that the future of Marching Arts is going upscale and professional. Taking the space left empty by Cirque De Soleil and taking that forward. Less Weekday shows and spending weekends at Heavy Metro Areas that can sustain 2 or 3 shows for the weekend. Move the Stage from the Football field to indoor Basketball Arenas.

Make The governing body own the Sound and Lighting equipment and have each corps use the same equipment just with each Corps using their own "Mix" to meet the demands of the show. 

There is an Upscale "Broadway" "Theater" "Orchestral" Market that DCI has not tapped into and if the product is professional could very well demand 2- 3 times the amount per ticket. And lets face it, that crowd is not going to do anything outside in the middle of Summer in Cornfield Nebraska. You have to cater to your audience. 

Cut your cost in Half. Triple your Revenue.  What Blast started but never finished. 

It would keep the activity alive and give a Creative evolution to the sport that we all know and love. 

In it's current state, the leadership in DCI lacks that vision. From the Ashes of DCI this is what will Rise I reckon. 

Someday...

Edited by Glenn426

13 minutes ago, Hamburgler said:

I listened to the same podcast this morning. Another thing that stood out to me was that the current model is actually a reaction to student needs/desires. I am the parent of a current marching member and if it were to be another limited tour this summer he wasn't interested in marching again. He started in an OC group and is now in his third season with a finalist group. 

And I quote my kid "...if Drum Corps went to a shorter tour and shorter spring training, therefore easier shows, It is just more high school band and I did that...I'm out."

We did the competitive sports thing too and it was just as much if not more expensive than Drum Corps and no where near as beneficial nor inclusive.

If it were only about costs, the cheaper corps would be full and they are not. In fact, they are the ones with the most openings. Shorter tours...not the answer either as OC groups are on the look out to fill membership. 

I'm not saying that we should do nothing to help but when was the last time we volunteered or donated? Purchased a T from the souvie stand? A great way to give is to sponsor a meal so look on your fav's socials and make it happen. Donate to scholarship funds or start one up. Lend a hand when they stop near you; kitchens always need hands. Just do something...anything to make it better.  

I think you have to go through a background check to volunteer.  My husband did every year he did and he hasn’t volunteered since 2016.   He’s almost 70.  Time for the younger people to step up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

what costs what it did when you marched? even the regional model wouldnt work because you still holed up somewhere for a day or two between shows. and in the great old days, corps didnt feed the kids, often times people drove themselves and there was no housing....and the liability to do that today is incredible.

i see no win win solution because returning the golden era method of operation is not going to work in todays world.

When I marched 27th, it cost me $400, but since I housed with the Zingalis and May was such a great cook, I really didn’t spend any money on food, or at least not much. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, they did.

Someone want to tell me what years you two are talking about?

American Legion started SAL organization in the 30s which had Jr corps. Don’t know of competing HS bands then. Where Jeff lives they had competing HS bands in mid 70s if not earlier. That’s where our corps found members when it reformed in 74.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you have to go through a background check to volunteer.  

Certainly hope so for safety and insurance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you have to go through a background check to volunteer.  My husband did every year he did and he hasn’t volunteered since 2016.   He’s almost 70.  Time for the younger people to step up.

I volunteer for a school district and a community food bank and had to go through two separate background checks…it’s pretty standard these days. As for younger folks to step up, it’s a major time commitment to go on tour and fewer people can make that commitment. I think volunteer hours should be included in any fund raising event a corps puts on and parents of marching members or recent age outs is a good place to start. 
After aging out elevendy million years ago, I came on board as a touring volunteer. Spent years of vacation time from my job “giving back”. Wouldn’t trade that experience for anything!

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I volunteer for a school district and a community food bank and had to go through two separate background checks…it’s pretty standard these days. As for younger folks to step up, it’s a major time commitment to go on tour and fewer people can make that commitment. I think volunteer hours should be included in any fund raising event a corps puts on and parents of marching members or recent age outs is a good place to start. 
After aging out elevendy million years ago, I came on board as a touring volunteer. Spent years of vacation time from my job “giving back”. Wouldn’t trade that experience for anything!

Jim would use his vacation time, too. I think he’s a little too old for the air mattress now. And I’d worry if he was driving all night at his age.  He was exhausted when he’d come home from 16 days.

I commend you for your volunteerism. It’s a rarity nowadays and you’re especially lucky to have the corps you marched is still around to volunteer with.  Jim and I are orphans. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

When I marched 27th, it cost me $400, but since I housed with the Zingalis and May was such a great cook, I really didn’t spend any money on food, or at least not much. 

It was $325 my last year.  It seemed like a lot of money at the time.