How Many....

5 hours ago, TenHut said:

I believe there were 700+ drum corps in the Nort America in the '60's and '70's. Heck, Illinois alone had about 50. 

...and not quite the quality of today's corps and in many cases marching bands that obviously replaced them.  We want more corps and need more corps, but there are more marching bands now than ever.

• Like 2

Maybe more well managed corps, but we don't need more corps with old busses broke on the side of the road, Kids getting one meal a day. Corps making it to Indy and needing 5k to get the kids home.    I don't think poorly managed corps are good for the kids or for the activity as a whole.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

How many....

horns you got

Sincerely Joe Bananas

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Maybe more well managed corps, but we don't need more corps with old busses broke on the side of the road, Kids getting one meal a day. Corps making it to Indy and needing 5k to get the kids home.    I don't think poorly managed corps are good for the kids or for the activity as a whole.

this

On 5/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, MikeN said:

The administrative and logistical requirements of World Class would drive all of the OC's out of business.  On-field product aside, there's a *massive* gulf in funding and structure between the two.

Mike

Not to mention the drum corps snobbery that doesn’t show up to support these open class corps. A highlight for me is showing up early thirty on Thursday to see them!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, mjyaub said:

Not to mention the drum corps snobbery that doesn’t show up to support these open class corps. A highlight for me is showing up early thirty on Thursday to see them!

I like seeing those early shows, too. And I like roaming around LOS to discover the different sounds from different seats.

But it never occurred to me to judge the motivations of those who aren't there early. I certainly don't think of them as snobs.

1 hour ago, mjyaub said:

Exactly

Ive said this for years." Put your money where your mouth is " People love to complain that OC has no voice yet dont show up to support. $$$$$ and BUTTS in seats will send a loud message and a louder voice. WGI learned this years ago with HS A class, The bread and butter and life line to all of WGI. 

It's always been sad to see on tour empty stands most times for kids who work just as hard often with alot less resources. Even lower WC corps fall victim to the lot, which I never understood.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3