2022 Mandarins

12 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

TBD if they move up yet but they’re not leaving finals.  Battery is the best I’ve ever heard from them, guard is awesome, and brass has some STUFF.  Only thing I am not sold on is the singer (not ability, just implementation) but man what a cool show.  

Props are COOL!!!

The singing did go on a bit long for my taste, but definitely agree on the percussion. Greatly improved. 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

This show concept has me sold. A simple idea the other side. The props help with the idea and implementation. 

The singers mic seemed to cut out in the end for several passages.

But the idea and thought of the male singer feels fresh. 

It feels like a full blown entertainment production. Similar to what Bluecoats have done with the Beatles. 

The guard is picking up where it left off. They look like diamante. Does anyone know if there is an official/ unofficial collaboration between the two?

The director/designer of Diamante was Mandarins’ guard caption head/designer from 2017 through 2019 only, so during those years there was a clear resemblance. Mandarins have a new guard caption head, so I don’t believe there’s any collaboration or connection between the two programs anymore. 

As for the singer’s mic, that was Flo. They mic’d pit speakers but only turned them on when there was a feature utilizing them. But the problem is that they weren’t always on the ball with turning the mic ON. 

Edited by brassboy

Just watched the Mandarins replay from last night. Even better the second time around. That ending was fabulous. 

Nice show. Very anxious to see it in person. For me, the vocals can be tossed.

• Like 1

Mandarins are in good shape this year! I like the show, mostly.

I don't care for the singing too much, but there are some good bones on the show. I don't imagine they will drop. The rest is up to them.

• Like 2

I LOVE the uniforms of the entire corps, the color palette, and they are already using the props so effectively, and I think there is going to be much more added in. IMO this show could take them to 7th or 8th.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...