2022 Mandarins

I just want to talk about the Mandarins' ballad for a second...

This is such a huge and impactful moment of the show. Wether you enjoy singing in drum corps or not, I feel that if you're going to integrate singing that this is really the way to do it. It does so much to build a moment and sell you on the theme of the show; Breaking down barriers, crossing over from dark to light, moving from oppression to freedom (whatever your personal take-away is). The way it starts with an acoustic piece and just the singer sets the stage, and then it really builds to a huge impactful moment. The way Charles sheds his outer layers and emerges "shiny" (for you firefly fans), the way one side of the wall is dark and regimented and the other side is free and spirited, and the guard member breaking through the brass section, and finally the brass doing a final turn to face the guard, it's all visually and musically pleasing, and it all really helps to drive home the theme. Nobody is left guessing, it's all in your face like a big blockbuster movie's climax. And then all the different layers and blending that the brass brings musically in their big moment gives me chills. The crowd eats it up too. It's my favorite moment from the whole season.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JohnDF said:

I just want to talk about the Mandarins' ballad for a second...

This is such a huge and impactful moment of the show. Wether you enjoy singing in drum corps or not, I feel that if you're going to integrate singing that this is really the way to do it. It does so much to build a moment and sell you on the theme of the show; Breaking down barriers, crossing over from dark to light, moving from oppression to freedom (whatever your personal take-away is). The way it starts with an acoustic piece and just the singer sets the stage, and then it really builds to a huge impactful moment. The way Charles sheds his outer layers and emerges "shiny" (for you firefly fans), the way one side of the wall is dark and regimented and the other side is free and spirited, and the guard member breaking through the brass section, and finally the brass doing a final turn to face the guard, it's all visually and musically pleasing, and it all really helps to drive home the theme. Nobody is left guessing, it's all in your face like a big blockbuster movie's climax. And then all the different layers and blending that the brass brings musically in their big moment gives me chills. The crowd eats it up too. It's my favorite moment from the whole season.

I think a lot of people overlook also the care that was taken in the writing for voice and brass here. This isn’t merely the brass playing accompaniment to a vocalist—both the brass and vocalist carry melody that trade-off or complement each other simultaneously.

• Like 2

It's the day before prelims and I want to wish the Mandarins all the luck in the world. I've enjoyed every performance and hope you guys break 90 this year, that's my goal for you. I'd also like to thank the few DCP members that kept me company in this thread. I've been a DCI fan for several years, but this was my first and probably last DCP experience. It was fun to share viewing experiences with others but my son is aging out and I probably won't follow the seasons as closely as I have. Go Mandarins!

• Like 4

I think the Mandarins show is amazing and looking forward to them breaking 90.  

Their ascent the past few years has been incredible.  

To see an organization thriving in such a challenging environment is spectacular.   

• Like 3

Watching prelims, they all seemed a little nervous at times, I could hear it and see it. I'm sure they will clean that up and be even better tonight. I'm still hoping to see that 90 points this year. Let's go Mandarins, you deserve it and i know you can do it.