Why does D.C.I. allow warm ups while another corps is performing?

I've often been at shows where the performing corps show is interrupted by music being played by another corps waiting to go on, thus distracting from the performing corps...This is particularly annoying when the performing corps is playing a ballad...I'm sure I'm not alone with this observation...So, is this just the way it is or can something be done to avert this conflict?

BITD corps were penalized if they were heard warming up during another corps’ performance. I’m not sure if this still applies.

I would think logistics and time dictate when and where a corps warms up. The size of a venue plays a big part in that too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sutasaurus has it right... DCI has rules in place for practice Corps to distance themselves from the field of competition during shows. Violations of such can... and have on several occasions, even within the last decade.... resulted in penalties to violating Corps in competition that show .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can remember shows where the Cavaliers or Belleville were warming up a ways from the field while our little corps and all of 19 horns were performing. After our number concluded, the crowd roared. We were thrilled. It wasn't until after the show that we found out the noise was for the warm up corps drowning us out. 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I can remember shows where the Cavaliers or Belleville were warming up a ways from the field while our little corps and all of 19 horns were performing. After our number concluded, the crowd roared. We were thrilled. It wasn't until after the show that we found out the noise was for the warm up corps drowning us out. 

Ooh that’s harsh. 

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Sutasaurus has it right... DCI has rules in place for practice Corps to distance themselves from the field of competition during shows. Violations of such can... and have on several occasions, even within the last decade.... resulted in penalties to violating Corps in competition that show .

Didn’t Boston have an issue in Indy a few years ago?  Thought I heard Tony DiCarlo warned or penalized them?

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I've often been at shows where the performing corps show is interrupted by music being played by another corps waiting to go on, thus distracting from the performing corps...This is particularly annoying when the performing corps is playing a ballad...I'm sure I'm not alone with this observation...So, is this just the way it is or can something be done to avert this conflict?

I seem to recall BD in recent memory getting a penalty for not being in the proper warm-up area...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I've been distracted at Allentown shows before...the distraction usually occurs during a ballad or very soft-moment of a show...so you are definitely not alone...I also have been distracted by many spectators talking...using my Allentown example...the crowd..very forcefully I might add...told him to "shut up"....Northerner's are not afraid to tell someone like it is either...lol

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Didn’t Boston have an issue in Indy a few years ago?  Thought I heard Tony DiCarlo warned or penalized them?

Not sure . ‘Might have .  I think BD might have been penalized for this a few years ago . Maybe others can confirm ( or correct me ) on this . 

16 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Not sure . ‘Might have .  I think BD might have been penalized for this a few years ago . Maybe others can confirm ( or correct me ) on this . 

I think you’re right.  But they won anyway.