Why does D.C.I. allow warm ups while another corps is performing?

On 5/31/2022 at 4:17 PM, frachel said:

It's bad at Allentown every year.

At Allentown, it seems a good number of people watch the warm ups and only go to their seats for the last few shows. Allentown warm ups are distracting, especially for the early performers. It could be worse. In Lynn, MA corps go to Pine Grove Cemetery to warm up. The sound does carry. I know at one time it was not permitted by the cemetery but it was never been stopped. Lynn is full of drum corps fans from the World Open days so I think the police looked the other way. I suppose those buried at Pine Grove don’t complain, but the neighbors of the stadium probably do.

Edited by Tim K

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

At Allentown, it seems a good number of people watch the warm ups and only go to their seats for the last few shows. Allentown warm ups are distracting, especially for the early performers. It could be worse. In Lynn, MA corps go to Pine Grove Cemetery to warm up. The sound does carry. I know at one time it was not permitted by the cemetery but it was never been stopped. Lynn is full of drum corps fans from the World Open days so I think the police looked the other way. I suppose those buried at Pine Grove don’t complain, but the neighbors of the stadium probably do.

the tailgating helps create that. it used to be really bad for a certain corps for a few years

The penalties for your warm-up sound carrying into the stadium need to (and are not) be consistently applied.  In this day of "technology",  they could easily employ a red/stop message, and green/go message for warmups....I have no problem with it, until the corps on the field starts their show....that is all that I should hear at that time.  It's been bad many times at Allentown, and other shows as well.  Give the penalties, and it would stop.  The corps have had all day long to practice.  I've even heard some of the harshest violations from color guards using an extremely loud amplified Dr. Beat.  Guard work warmups can be quiet or to a gentle clap.  Drummers can warm up on pads in the bus, and brass can have mouthpieces on the bus.  Not ideal, but it is something.  No corps should have the right to disrupt the performance of the corps on the field.  If they are going to play full out after the show starts, they need to do it between performances, and at breaks....or in areas far enough that you can't hear them, and with some venues, this isn't possible.   Corps that go on late are already "awarded" significantly more rehearsal/warmup time....now, they can show up at a show and disrupt other corps' performances on the field.  Not acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bob984 said:

The penalties for your warm-up sound carrying into the stadium need to (and are not) be consistently applied.  In this day of "technology",  they could easily employ a red/stop message, and green/go message for warmups....I have no problem with it, until the corps on the field starts their show....that is all that I should hear at that time.  It's been bad many times at Allentown, and other shows as well.  Give the penalties, and it would stop.  The corps have had all day long to practice.  I've even heard some of the harshest violations from color guards using an extremely loud amplified Dr. Beat.  Guard work warmups can be quiet or to a gentle clap.  Drummers can warm up on pads in the bus, and brass can have mouthpieces on the bus.  Not ideal, but it is something.  No corps should have the right to disrupt the performance of the corps on the field.  If they are going to play full out after the show starts, they need to do it between performances, and at breaks....or in areas far enough that you can't hear them, and with some venues, this isn't possible.   Corps that go on late are already "awarded" significantly more rehearsal/warmup time....now, they can show up at a show and disrupt other corps' performances on the field.  Not acceptable.

well...no on pads on the bus. it's nowhere near the same as being on the drum, both for the hands and the ears. There's plenty of room in the park. DCI/The East Committee need people patrolling the park and be in communication with the chief judge in the event of issues.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well...no on pads on the bus. it's nowhere near the same as being on the drum, both for the hands and the ears. There's plenty of room in the park. DCI/The East Committee need people patrolling the park and be in communication with the chief judge in the event of issues.

Yeah, pads on the bus are not great.....but one can at least keep from tightening up if you are in a location where you can't warmup because you are too close to the field........Everyone has a phone.....there is zero reason that a green/red code text could not be constantly sent......and until they start throwing penalties left and right, it will continue......no matter what, I shouldn't hear anything in the stadium other than the corps performing on the field...nobody's warmup should be more important.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:00 PM, Bob984 said:

Yeah, pads on the bus are not great.....but one can at least keep from tightening up if you are in a location where you can't warmup because you are too close to the field........Everyone has a phone.....there is zero reason that a green/red code text could not be constantly sent......and until they start throwing penalties left and right, it will continue......no matter what, I shouldn't hear anything in the stadium other than the corps performing on the field...nobody's warmup should be more important.

like i said the park HAS room. the committee and chief judge just dont enforce the proper distances.