Corps at the Crest

17 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

And in 2018, the members of the Blue Devils were asked to do as much as the members of the Santa Clara Vanguard, yet Devils gave us a full show and Vanguard did not. 

I was at Stanford in 2018. Santa Clara brought the house down…. everyone knew they witnessed something very special. And they out-scored BD that night. I honestly don’t remember how finished/unfinished they were. But I remember the standing O. 

My takeaways from tonight;

Mandarins are making finals. That guard is strong again. Show is cool, props are working and the group can perform the hell outta that show. Concept is easy to grasp and perform for younger group.

SCV- I could not tell it was SCV until their name banner came on. I honestly thought PC was setting up.  Once they started performing, I couldn't tell it was SCV until the battery was isolated. The edge and aggressiveness that the hornline had the last 4-5 years is gone. What's left is nice and precise but it feels soulless. Lacking identity. The guard was not there. What are they trying to portray? Just felt like spins to music. I missed the connection. I've always loved SCV, consistently my top 3. FeelsBadMan

Academy and PC seem very very young and suffering from holes. Starting from square 1.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I have a lot of personal thoughts but just great to be back at it with a normal season.  

Mandarins were my personal favorite tonight.  

Ditto 

“Pandemic? What pandemic?” - scv percussion

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

I was at Stanford in 2018. Santa Clara brought the house down…. everyone knew they witnessed something very special. And they out-scored BD that night. I honestly don’t remember how finished/unfinished they were. But I remember the standing O. 

I remember too. I was sitting in the Vanguard section jumping up and down and screaming like an fool when they won. I was so happy. They hadn't beaten Devils since June 2007, so it was a looong time coming. I definitely remember the show not being done because they ended after the dance, and when I heard that ending I was extremely disappointed I didn't get to hear it live. I also remember coming on here after that show saying they could win it all. I thought that night they were going to win it all, and they did.

Again - I'm fine not having the drill, guard work, body movements, etc... finished. I just feel they should play their entire show for their fans.

People in the midwest and east have it easier - they get to see these corps mid- to late- season. For us on the west coast, this is all we get. 

But, whatever, you're all right - I should just stop complaining. I've watched the show 4 times and love it. It'll get there.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The edge and aggressiveness that the hornline had the last 4-5 years is gone.

I think you and I witnessed a completely different show. 

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

No obvious bias. This is championship caliber. I hope they can pull it off. I have a huge Vanguard bias and did not like the 2019 show in the least. The 2022 show is exceptional in every way, and I think they'll likely be challenging for all caption awards this year. It's spectacular and I'm sure once that closer gets in, it's going to be incredible.

I enjoy vanguard a lot, gonna have to revisit when I see them visit their second home in Denton in about a month, but I’m not feeling their show, I’ve not been feeling many corps shows to be fair, it’s also early, but I’ve yet to find a show I can cling onto this year and really really dig, at least from what I’ve listened to so far. At least when I see them mid season at what will definitely be a great show all around in Denton with so many heavy hitters going, I’ll definitely be in a great mood 🙂

• Like 2

Have not had a chance to watch everyone tonight on Flo, but I just watched all of Vanguard and some of Mandarins and Academy. Had a previous engagement tonight. But my first viewing of Santa Clara can be summed up like this...Wow! The music ensemble is going to be a huge strong point for them. That brass line sounds amazing and the demand is wicked. Of course their percussion is incredible. I like the music a lot and I think it will grow on me as they clean, tweak, and get the closer on the field. The guard looks wonderful so far with, I am sure, much more to come. Visually I love the uniforms. Classy. They really pop as you see the show from a distance. Not sure about the props yet but I need to investigate the theme of the show a bit more. All that white and silver on the field gives me a little Star of Indiana vibe  from 1993. The drill is fantastic! 

I agree with others that this show is a contender. Now none of us know how things will pan out, but with that quality of music ensemble, the sheer demand, the guard, and the overall visual program it is difficult for me to see this show not being in the hunt at some point, whether that be early or late. General Effect will be the key with this show since it is complex. But often that is a difficult component to judge early on when shows are not complete or polished. As of tonight though all I can say is way to go, SCV! Very impressive. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I enjoy vanguard a lot, gonna have to revisit when I see them visit their second home in Denton in about a month, but I’m not feeling their show, I’ve not been feeling many corps shows to be fair, it’s also early, but I’ve yet to find a show I can cling onto this year and really really dig, at least from what I’ve listened to so far. At least when I see them mid season at what will definitely be a great show all around in Denton with so many heavy hitters going, I’ll definitely be in a great mood 🙂

I saw their first show in 2018 over that scope app that begins with a p (can't remember it, periscope or something) and felt the way you felt. The next night I saw it live in Stanford, and was so completely blown away. I feel similar about this show than I did about the 2017 and 2018 shows.