Corps at the Crest

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

When I first saw SCV's unis, my first thought was "Heaven's Gate" or the "Midsommar" movie.  Maybe they go with their theme?  (Haven't watched yet) 😁😇   

OMG Midsommar. Britt says to me "Oh this looks cool..let's watch this!" 2 hours later she says "What the actual ^$#@$ did we just watch?!?!" 

• Haha 1

Watched Vanguard again. Believe Gaines has run out of ideas. The guard is not special unless lifting other members is the new thing instead of throwing, spinning and tossing equipment. I’m no fan of the music either. Everything is there but it needs a lot of work. Stephan is not happy with me but I call it as I see it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Watched Vanguard again. Believe Gaines has run out of ideas. The guard is not special unless lifting other members is the new thing instead of throwing, spinning and tossing equipment. I’m no fan of the music either. Everything is there but it needs a lot of work. Stephan is not happy with me but I call it as I see it. 

I know it was only a first impression, but I had the same thought. Without even having seen anything of BD yet, I wouldn't be shocked if they beat SCV by multiple points tonight. Vanguard just left me bleh. 

When 5 out of 7 judges give the same 7.1   6.8 score for SCV. How can you not say that a pre judged number was NOT decided beforehand??

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Say it ain't so... well, SCV isn't going to the Tomball show... I might look around on YouTube. Heck, I did that with Phantom last night. 

46 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

That's what happens when you use DCI shows as model though. It seems the attitude is almost like "Well PR did in 2010 and everyone loved it!" So then the BOA programs copy it and then the DCI groups get all flattered and keep doing it. But through the years, some of the shows with the quiet opener into a massive hit were just amazing. I can remember sitting in the stands with the rest of my corps in '87 and hearing Garfields opening hit with Appalacian Spring and just gasping. It didn't matter how many times I saw it...it just never didn't almost make me cry. 

13 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

When 5 out of 7 judges give the same 7.1   6.8 score for SCV. How can you not say that a pre judged number was NOT decided beforehand??

.... Westcoast inflation? Ooooh boy I may have opened a can of worms there. 

I'm kidding yall. I promise. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's what happens when you use DCI shows as model though. It seems the attitude is almost like "Well PR did in 2010 and everyone loved it!" So then the BOA programs copy it and then the DCI groups get all flattered and keep doing it. But through the years, some of the shows with the quiet opener into a massive hit were just amazing. I can remember sitting in the stands with the rest of my corps in '87 and hearing Garfields opening hit with Appalacian Spring and just gasping. It didn't matter how many times I saw it...it just never didn't almost make me cry. 

While somewhat agreeing with walliman overall, Appalachian Spring done that way gets a pass from me. That's the only way to open with it, ala Cadets. Truly magnificent and majestic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol

Me, too. Overdone. But mostly: It just has no impact on me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I agree that there are shows where the quiet to big hit works amazingly..It seems to me that in those shows it all makes sense holistically...but I concede the 80's and 90's had some great quiet to hit material..peace

• Like 2