Corps at the Crest

33 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Based on one contest, with 2 finalists from the previous competitive season, it is far too early to tell whether a show will be a championship contender.  Far too many moving parts that we have not yet seen.  We can say that Mandarins & SCV seem to be in a good position to make finals, and that Gold, Academy & PC have potential.  But that is about it.

Don't make us be reasonable.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

I agree that there are shows where the quiet to big hit works amazingly..It seems to me that in those shows it all makes sense holistically...but I concede the 80's and 90's had some great quiet to hit material..peace

I would agree 100% with both statements Wali. It's overdone which makes it a bit much at this point, but it's overdone because it was so well done in the 80's and 90's. It's almost like a fan is writing some of the shows. Admittedly, if I were a designer, my first inclination would be to design things that I have loved from DCI's past. That is one reason why I am SO glad that I never went that route LOL. The shows would make absolutely no sense at ALL. People would be doing kick stops while sliding down ramps and &%$^ (actually that's kind of a cool idea....)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

Just take a look at Crossmen 2022. Literally a whole BOA show and look. Not one thing from the corps says Crossmen. They look like a really good BOA band from Texas. I can't get into their show at all. I dozed off and it's just noon where I am. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I'm hoping for the VK shark.  Maybe it could attack the stagecoach.

ANY corps that brings back the shark should get an automatic seat in finals (even if just for exhibition.) I always wanted VK to come back and do an alumni show and bring back ALL the props. Bulls, bikini's, sharks, vikings, aliens....like bring it all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

When 5 out of 7 judges give the same 7.1   6.8 score for SCV. How can you not say that a pre judged number was NOT decided beforehand??

Please DCP, don't get this weird for the first broadcasted show, lol.

Ended up having a bit of a party with neighbors last night so I missed all of the World Class shows, but doing a quick scan of some of the comments in this thread have me pretty excited about tonight.  I just looked up scores, and how weird is it to see the last DCI scores before last night were posted on 8/10/2019....so glad competitive DCI is back!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

Not one thing from the corps says Crossmen. 

Putting out a show you don't happen to like has nothing to do with whether they're the Crossmen or not.  Congrats to Bones!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

Whenever someone does something that goes against that same opener formula, it just immediately stays in the mind so much more, haven’t seen every corps yet, not nearly, but I’m sure some are gonna mix it up🙏🙏

• Like 1

Watching the re-broadcast. It will take a lot for me to stop wishing the Mandarins' vocal time had been devoted to some horn solos.

Couldn't get into The Academy show. I'm doing spreadsheet work, too. That's probably it. (But Mandarins pulled me away for their whole show.)

I think SCV is lining up. Or it's a Tide commercial 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Watched Vanguard again. Believe Gaines has run out of ideas. The guard is not special unless lifting other members is the new thing instead of throwing, spinning and tossing equipment. I’m no fan of the music either. Everything is there but it needs a lot of work. Stephan is not happy with me but I call it as I see it. 

I feel like the guard got lost underneath all the white on the field. Might be better viewing in person. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

the “marching arts” are sorely lacking in imagination

• Like 2