Corps at the Crest

5 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

I feel like the guard got lost underneath all the white on the field. Might be better viewing in person. 

Good point. I think I'd rather see the guard in white and the corps in the purple.

You know, because purple is one of those classic Vanguard colors.😀

Edited by mjoakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm watching the rebroadcast right now.  

I love everything about SCV's music repertoire so far.  Brass are going to kill this book when it really gets cooking, and I think that ballad is going to be special when they figure out how to program it. 

I always say I know nothing about percussion, but I feel like the battery writing is more accessible for a dilettante like me than 2018, and I'll be interested to see what percussion gurus on here think about it competitively.  The piano-volume soli snare stuff in the 2nd number was pretty thrilling for me. 

Gaines has really reduced the size of the stage again which really worked in 2018, obviously....feels like a WGI show to me visually, but that's how the top 6 have felt to me for awhile now.  I don't get the all white and I really don't get the bright yellow flags for the opener. I assume that's temporary, and hope the all white unis are as well.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Watching the re-broadcast. It will take a lot for me to stop wishing the Mandarins' vocal time had been devoted to some horn solos.

I'm with you.  I think the vocalist has a very nice voice, and I'm sure it'll get blended better over time with the corps (sounds a little disjointed to me right now, but that could just be the sound on flo), but I'd still rather hear most of that with horns.  

• Like 1

I liked moments in SCV's show. Really need to see it (and see it complete) a few times. Everything now and this next week is just first impressions. Mandarins get my vote for #1 last night (even though I know the scores already).

Watching SCV a second time made me have some additional thoughts. First, all of the cages. Again. We've seen this movie only it was better last time because you also had ramps that were used very effectively. A couple of those cages looked a little wobbly too as the sopranos were climbing them. Like me trying to climb a ladder to change a smoke detector battery kind of wobbly. The uniforms - agree, they need more color contrast out there. Some orange, some yellows, some something. Oh wait, how about some friggin RED AND GREEN??? The percussion section - earlier comments still hold, but now I see why. Jeez, they're young. So the good news, lots of room to grow and experience. Pretty sure there are not one, but two female snares also - always good to see. SCV, like so many corps, just don't have enough all-hands-on-deck on flags time and forego some of the rifle time. Yeah it's neat, I can throw a rifle 50 ft in the air and catch it with my toes, but all guard on flags not only makes you look big, it adds so much to the presentation. That's one thing that always wins me over with BAC. They tend to do that a lot. 

I just watched the rebroadcast.

It's good to see Academy going back to their whimsical roots, not sure I care too much for the repertoire but it's an overall good vehicle for them to improve on this season. Also their uniforms look so good! 

I loved the Mandarins show apart from the singing. That musical book is going to get a lot of listens from me if I'm able to get past the singing. The uniforms were pretty terrible though, is it supposed to look like the members are wearing those stupid fake 6 pack tshirts? 

SCV's brass has lost some of the sizzle and aggressiveness they gained in 2017-2019. They sound like this weird mix of their 2012-2016 sound and 2017-2019 sound depending on where in the show it is. The brass arranging in general is a bit disappointing, the first half of the show didn't capture me at all. Percussion had great musicality but not so much in the hornline, it felt like they were accompaniment to the percussion. The ballad was gorgeous though and they sounded more like their 2017-2019 selves there, I hope the closer they put in will have a similar level of musicality and sound. Unfortunately they may win the worst uniform of 2022 award 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Watching SCV a second time made me have some additional thoughts. First, all of the cages. Again. We've seen this movie only it was better last time because you also had ramps that were used very effectively. A couple of those cages looked a little wobbly too as the sopranos were climbing them. Like me trying to climb a ladder to change a smoke detector battery kind of wobbly. The uniforms - agree, they need more color contrast out there. Some orange, some yellows, some something. Oh wait, how about some friggin RED AND GREEN??? The percussion section - earlier comments still hold, but now I see why. Jeez, they're young. So the good news, lots of room to grow and experience. Pretty sure there are not one, but two female snares also - always good to see. SCV, like so many corps, just don't have enough all-hands-on-deck on flags time and forego some of the rifle time. Yeah it's neat, I can throw a rifle 50 ft in the air and catch it with my toes, but all guard on flags not only makes you look big, it adds so much to the presentation. That's one thing that always wins me over with BAC. They tend to do that a lot. 

I agree with a lot of what you said. I would like more unison flag work as well. Perhaps that is coming - it certainly will in the closer.

I do not think we are going to see only white from the corps proper this year. There has to be some kind of reveal. Those white uniforms seem baggy and with room for something underneath. It seems like when the find nirvana there is going to be a big color splash, and IMO nothing goes better with purple than orange (and pink). I bet we're going to see some reveal and it'll be exciting.

• Like 2

Hope you're right on the unis, Anne. And I hadn't even thought of that - finding Nirvanna through the season brings a change. Excellent observation. 

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

re the colors: Anyone else remember Fantasia winter guard’s legendary “Images of India” show (aka the storied Kama Sutra show) from 2002 or so? (Easy to find on a video site.) They did all white uniforms with a floor tarp that was varieties of purple — and SCV this year is doing all white hornline uniforms with a guard in varieties of purple.

Fantasia’s what this reminded me of, since SCV is doing an adjacent theme with Indian/Buddhist flair, so I figure these colors are significant — that’s probably why it doesnt bother me. I also am CERTAIN this plays better IRL, when the human eye can catch subtleties and textures that these cameras cannot.

I don’t think you can casually add red or green to this idea, sadly. And I’m not convinced that the colors will change throughout the season; the all-white is significant, from what I can tell. Orange is maybe reserved for monks? Not an expert. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I just watched the rebroadcast.

It's good to see Academy going back to their whimsical roots, not sure I care too much for the repertoire but it's an overall good vehicle for them to improve on this season. Also their uniforms look so good! 

I loved the Mandarins show apart from the singing. That musical book is going to get a lot of listens from me if I'm able to get past the singing. The uniforms were pretty terrible though, is it supposed to look like the members are wearing those stupid fake 6 pack tshirts? 

SCV's brass has lost some of the sizzle and aggressiveness they gained in 2017-2019. They sound like this weird mix of their 2012-2016 sound and 2017-2019 sound depending on where in the show it is. The brass arranging in general is a bit disappointing, the first half of the show didn't capture me at all. Percussion had great musicality but not so much in the hornline, it felt like they were accompaniment to the percussion. The ballad was gorgeous though and they sounded more like their 2017-2019 selves there, I hope the closer they put in will have a similar level of musicality and sound. Unfortunately they may win the worst uniform of 2022 award 

It’s buried way back in this thread, but for Mandarins’ costume there’s a jacket that goes over the bib for the corps proper. The jackets just weren’t ready yet. 

• Like 2