Corps at the Crest

29 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

They would do the same thing they are doing now. Focusing on the quality and what their members can achieve in due time. Why would they care about early scores?

I agree.  They dont.  if this was for real, then undertime and overtime penalties would be meted out in June.. not later in July/ August.

19 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I saw their first show in 2018 over that scope app that begins with a p (can't remember it, periscope or something) and felt the way you felt. The next night I saw it live in Stanford, and was so completely blown away. I feel similar about this show than I did about the 2017 and 2018 shows.

Understandable, for me hearing their show in 2018 for the first time, I had already listened to their selection playlist quite a bit and I digged it. I adore fearsome, intense hornlines and I knew when I heard them they were gonna be monsters and they were, they won the Ott that year!! I was hooked from the start in 2018 personally.

Edit: And yes I think you’re looking for periscope there. I think I definitely heard shows for the first time on that app as well that year haha

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

24 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think you and I witnessed a completely different show. 

I just rewatched the show to get a second read. I see how someone can get a different read. I still feel the same, they lost their ensemble sizzle. And I think it's the trumpets. 

Different ensemble philosophy, where the Pyramid of sound trumps all. Safe playing within the pyramid means that the trumpet voice is not playing as loud as the low and mid voices. In 2018 and 2019 when the trumpets needed to Play they sizzled. 

Different ways to approach the same thing. I prefer with the trumpet section sizzles. Think cadets 2011, or SCV 2018.

It makes sense for the Vandorens to follow the BOA, NIL way of "safe" ensemble playing as that is what they do day in day out for their home groups. Just not my cup of tea when it comes to Drum corps. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Interesting (to me anyway)...6 of the 8 judges scored SCV a 13.9

And all 6 had rep at 7.1 and performance at 6.8

Some very clear instructions from the competition committee where the roof should be for the first show. 

Scv hasn’t put out a closer opening weekend since at least 2013 (about as far back as I’ve been to opening shows at least). That’s just their normal pace, they usually start adding parts of the closer in the week between the first and second grouping of shows. 

I hate SCV's costumes.  They are so unflattering to anyone not height and weight proportionate.  They could have designed something that looks great on more body types.  All white is also not forgiving!  I literally dozed off during the middle of SCV's show.  Now, I did work out in the yard earlier so I am a bit tired, but come on.  I know their show will improve a great deal.  I really hope it grows on me, because I want to love SCV.  I sure miss their old red and green uniforms with those aussies and the white feather.  When my friend saw my computer she said what corps is that.  I told her is was Vanguard and she was blown away.  I do realize this is the way things are progressing for some corps, but you can change up your uniforms and still keep some of your identity such as Cavies, BD, Phantom and Crown.  I do like what the Bluecoats have been doing the last few years.  The Mandarins show needs a lot of work, but it does have potential.  They also had an interesting uniform choice for the corps proper.  I know all these shows will be so different by Final's week.  I perhaps should have waited until mid season to watch my first contest.

• Like 5

I loved being able to watch the performances live this year!  Most of the CA corps, save SCV, were down in numbers members wise from 2019.  It's a byproduct of the pandemic and the effect it has had on high school marching programs.  

Gold - looked and sounded better to me then when my son marched with them a few years ago.  They have some 4 year veterans in that corps that could be marching with Top 3 corps of they chose to.  I believe they'll be in medal contention in open class this year. 

The Academy. My son was with this group as well before covid ended 2020, so i'm really pulling for them. They looked like the largest group tonight. Listening to them from my seats in the blast zone was deafening - i think they need to work on the amplification balance as it was pretty much blasting the whole time. Was happy to see a "full show" from them, especially after what they went through last year. 

Mandarins - very creative show.  Looked like a smaller brassline, with a large colorguard (i could be wrong, but that's how it looked to me). Interesting unique "marching" with that forward lean and strut. Loved Euph/Tbone features throughout the show.  Very nice sound.   I enjoyed the interaction with the props. So much going on im sure i missed interesting parts of the show because i was focusing on another equally interesting section. I really loved this show and i'm looking forward to watching live at the rose bowl and san bernadino. In my opinion,  the best Mandarins show I've seen and has potential to move them up at finals. 

SCV - the cleanest group tonight. Battery (or snareline?? had a great point where they played a difficult passage marching from the front of the field around the corps to the rear of the field with the cleanness of the snares just piercing through the brass passage.  They have the performers that are ready to clean the show and add and execute choreography.  It'll be interesting to see how they stack up against BD at the rose bowl.

Pacific Crest.  My kids current corps since last year.  Some difficult drill.  Seems like Lots of running.  Very young group being led by new visual staff.  The show's closer wasn't finished for this weekend's performances.  This was a very different type of show then 2019 with very little prop interaction.   It seems intentional,  but i think people expect something with the props. Lots of room for improvement.

Edited by Metalbinky
For clarity
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:32 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Did someone say they’re  going to replay with audio the next day now?  Because I just can’t make it through the three hour time difference.  I’ll be 💤 😴 🛌 

Saturday at noon EST

• Thanks 1