Corps at the Crest

42 minutes ago, rchitectburd23BD01 said:

Not one thing from the corps says Crossmen. 

Putting out a show you don't happen to like has nothing to do with whether they're the Crossmen or not.  Congrats to Bones!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

Whenever someone does something that goes against that same opener formula, it just immediately stays in the mind so much more, haven’t seen every corps yet, not nearly, but I’m sure some are gonna mix it up🙏🙏

• Like 1

Watching the re-broadcast. It will take a lot for me to stop wishing the Mandarins' vocal time had been devoted to some horn solos.

Couldn't get into The Academy show. I'm doing spreadsheet work, too. That's probably it. (But Mandarins pulled me away for their whole show.)

I think SCV is lining up. Or it's a Tide commercial 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Watched Vanguard again. Believe Gaines has run out of ideas. The guard is not special unless lifting other members is the new thing instead of throwing, spinning and tossing equipment. I’m no fan of the music either. Everything is there but it needs a lot of work. Stephan is not happy with me but I call it as I see it. 

I feel like the guard got lost underneath all the white on the field. Might be better viewing in person. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I'm getting a bit tired of the BOA style openings in drum corps ( no disrespect to BOA)..You know, the quiet, coming to life or coming out of darkness into light stuff before the big hit..The ballet like dancing by #### near everyone and the requisite lifting of a guard member to the sky..lol...I still love drum corps but these openings are becoming too predictable IMO ..Hope to hear some ######, high pace openings just to break the monotony..that's all..peace.

the “marching arts” are sorely lacking in imagination

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

I feel like the guard got lost underneath all the white on the field. Might be better viewing in person. 

Good point. I think I'd rather see the guard in white and the corps in the purple.

You know, because purple is one of those classic Vanguard colors.😀

Edited by mjoakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm watching the rebroadcast right now.  

I love everything about SCV's music repertoire so far.  Brass are going to kill this book when it really gets cooking, and I think that ballad is going to be special when they figure out how to program it. 

I always say I know nothing about percussion, but I feel like the battery writing is more accessible for a dilettante like me than 2018, and I'll be interested to see what percussion gurus on here think about it competitively.  The piano-volume soli snare stuff in the 2nd number was pretty thrilling for me. 

Gaines has really reduced the size of the stage again which really worked in 2018, obviously....feels like a WGI show to me visually, but that's how the top 6 have felt to me for awhile now.  I don't get the all white and I really don't get the bright yellow flags for the opener. I assume that's temporary, and hope the all white unis are as well.   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Watching the re-broadcast. It will take a lot for me to stop wishing the Mandarins' vocal time had been devoted to some horn solos.

I'm with you.  I think the vocalist has a very nice voice, and I'm sure it'll get blended better over time with the corps (sounds a little disjointed to me right now, but that could just be the sound on flo), but I'd still rather hear most of that with horns.  

• Like 1

I liked moments in SCV's show. Really need to see it (and see it complete) a few times. Everything now and this next week is just first impressions. Mandarins get my vote for #1 last night (even though I know the scores already).

Watching SCV a second time made me have some additional thoughts. First, all of the cages. Again. We've seen this movie only it was better last time because you also had ramps that were used very effectively. A couple of those cages looked a little wobbly too as the sopranos were climbing them. Like me trying to climb a ladder to change a smoke detector battery kind of wobbly. The uniforms - agree, they need more color contrast out there. Some orange, some yellows, some something. Oh wait, how about some friggin RED AND GREEN??? The percussion section - earlier comments still hold, but now I see why. Jeez, they're young. So the good news, lots of room to grow and experience. Pretty sure there are not one, but two female snares also - always good to see. SCV, like so many corps, just don't have enough all-hands-on-deck on flags time and forego some of the rifle time. Yeah it's neat, I can throw a rifle 50 ft in the air and catch it with my toes, but all guard on flags not only makes you look big, it adds so much to the presentation. That's one thing that always wins me over with BAC. They tend to do that a lot.