Corps at the Crest

smells like teen spirit has nothing to do with buddhism and come to think of it, neither did the band that happened to call themselves nirvana, so let's not get too absurd with this.  it does nothing but limit creativity when artEEEsts go there for a band show. not saying you're wrong at all saxfreq, i just hope that's not the way the amazing scv production team is thinking.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lance said:

smells like teen spirit has nothing to do with buddhism and come to think of it, neither did the band that happened to call themselves nirvana, so let's not get too absurd with this.  it does nothing but limit creativity when artEEEsts go there for a band show. not saying you're wrong at all saxfreq, i just hope that's not the way the amazing scv production team is thinking.  

It’s a show about nirvana and a band called nirvana… It’s a fun opportunity to mix two different styles. Not deep, but pretty clearly intentional. No one is saying that the specific Nirvana song they chose has anything to do with Buddhism. But Buddhist motifs are an obvious aspect of the show. It’s kind of like how they did the “My Body is a Cage” ballad in 2018 for a show with a bunch of cages on the field — just a clever connection they’re making, not some grand artistic statement. 

tldr — it’s easy GE. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

having the sentiment that "green and orange (or whatever colors you were talking about) aren't buddhist" isn't clever or creative.  it's myopic and silly.  i have more faith in them than that is all I was saying. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lance said:

having the sentiment that "green and orange (or whatever colors you were talking about) aren't buddhist" isn't clever or creative.  it's myopic and silly.  i have more faith in them than that is all I was saying. 

All I was saying is that they’re probably being intentional about the white uniforms, because white, in Buddhism, is often tied to learning and knowledge; meditating in white signifies attaining wisdom. If they’re portraying spiritual seekers, in a show called “Finding Nirvana,” white makes a lot of sense! I see them making Buddha prayer hands etc. on the field, so I don’t think I’m talking out of pocket here. What I actually said is that you wouldn’t CASUALLY add other colors if you’re a designer who’s giving it the concept this much thought, and you wouldn’t. If you’re dressing a drum corps in all white uniforms with Nehru jackets, you definitely took the time to think about that choice. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

really enjoyed mandarins and only caught the last half of academy....seems like that one has a ton of room to grow.  my fav part of pacific crest is the last number they did.  ensemble brass sounded their best there, imo.  so happy for all of these west coast corps.  

20 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

if judges really dinged corps much more on the score sheets early in the season for having incomplete shows, the problem would be solved immediately, and the following season, Corps , especially in the upper tiers, would move heaven and earth to be certain they had a complete show on the field by the last week of June.

Boston wins that this year, apparently.

26 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I didn't realize FloMarching had a writer doing a live blog during yesterday's show. Here it is in case anyone else overlooked it: https://www.flomarching.com/articles/7860658-live-blog-2022-corps-at-the-crest-san-diego

The sound on that is a little loud. 

20 hours ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I enjoy vanguard a lot, gonna have to revisit when I see them visit their second home in Denton in about a month, but I’m not feeling their show, I’ve not been feeling many corps shows to be fair, it’s also early, but I’ve yet to find a show I can cling onto this year and really really dig, at least from what I’ve listened to so far. At least when I see them mid season at what will definitely be a great show all around in Denton with so many heavy hitters going, I’ll definitely be in a great mood 🙂

Bluecoats will be your medicine. They've got an awesome show.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Watched Vanguard again. Believe Gaines has run out of ideas. The guard is not special unless lifting other members is the new thing instead of throwing, spinning and tossing equipment. I’m no fan of the music either. Everything is there but it needs a lot of work. Stephan is not happy with me but I call it as I see it. 

Honestly, I would be disappointed if you didn't call it like you see it.

It's early days though, so we'll see what happens.