Corps at the Crest

Big year for big afros in dci this summer, I love it. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, Cappybara said:

SCV's brass has lost some of the sizzle and aggressiveness they gained in 2017-2019. They sound like this weird mix of their 2012-2016 sound and 2017-2019 sound depending on where in the show it is. The brass arranging in general is a bit disappointing, the first half of the show didn't capture me at all. Percussion had great musicality but not so much in the hornline, it felt like they were accompaniment to the percussion. The ballad was gorgeous though and they sounded more like their 2017-2019 selves there, I hope the closer they put in will have a similar level of musicality and sound. Unfortunately they may win the worst uniform of 2022 award 

I think you will like their show more and more as the season progresses. My read on the brass line is different from yours. They are achieving a wonderful blend and demonstrating excellent technique in the demanding areas. The music is a bit segmented at times. The sound is more blended from bottom up (a bit more of a traditional approach depending on the style of music you are playing). Endurance and the orchestration and style of the music will determine where they go with this but the music did not bother me one bit. I think they clearly have a very good music ensemble (brass and percussion).

Their biggest issues will be 1) getting the closer on the field (we know that is coming), 2) dealing with the uniforms, 3) making the props more effective, and 4) making the body movement work with the show theme and stand out more. No. 3 may end up being their biggest weakness. Watching people climb metal scaffolding in a show called "Finding Nirvana" does not elicit any emotions, at least for me. The props look cheap and I get nervous watching them climb those things. No. 2 is also a concern. I don't mind the all white look, but when you see close-ups you kind of cringe a little. Maybe they have an overlay coming. 

It is too early to write the show off. I can tell they have great personnel and a lot of talent. I still believe this will be a great show down the stretch. How good? Hard to say. I think their staff are going to make a lot of changes. But as of now I still like the show quite a bit. It's not BD. But I don't expect them to be BD, just the best SCV they can be. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. I would like more unison flag work as well. Perhaps that is coming - it certainly will in the closer.

I do not think we are going to see only white from the corps proper this year. There has to be some kind of reveal. Those white uniforms seem baggy and with room for something underneath. It seems like when the find nirvana there is going to be a big color splash, and IMO nothing goes better with purple than orange (and pink). I bet we're going to see some reveal and it'll be exciting.

You could be correct. The white may be a base to begin a series of color palettes through the show. 

On 6/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, mjoakes said:

I liked moments in SCV's show. Really need to see it (and see it complete) a few times. Everything now and this next week is just first impressions. Mandarins get my vote for #1 last night (even though I know the scores already).

Mandarins are impressive. That's a serious top 12 brass line for sure. Not sure how I feel about  the vocals but I am not worried about stuff like that at such an early stage. Their show is excellent top to bottom. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

You could be correct. The white may be a base to begin a series of color palettes through the show. 

I think so. It makes sense. I think there might be some type of multi-color reveal and orange and pink go great with purple.