Masks!

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What did I miss?

yeah, what ‘recent events’? 

• Thanks 1

Considering wearing a mask at LOS in August. These days, it feels like more people are tolerant of mask choices either way. I like that.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 11:45 PM, KVG_DC said:

Here's the thing on my mind. We've seen seasonal spikes in the northeast and northwest in the winter when people are driving indoors from the cold.  We've seeen seasonal spikes across the south when people are driven indoors from the heat. We've got corps riding in buses for long periods all summer.  It's gonna spread.

Corps would be smart to see if they can score some paxlovid to minimize what even the mildest cases bring. They'll want a quarantine vehicle if they can, and maybe a whole bus.  There'll be some for whom it's a week to two weeks of symptoms though, if not more--thats the long covid percentage.  It could pretty much wipe out those kids summer.

I suspect we're gonna see a fair few holes in everyone through the season.  And perhaps a corps or two missing a show with too many out ala the Cavies a few years back.  Corps hopefully have isolation and recovery plans for the tour.  I mean it's not like corps haven't been hit by the 'creeping crud' before, but this one will perhaps be a bit harder to contain over the tour.

The longer term concern for all these kids are the percentage of long covid effects amongst them. i.e. diminished lung capacity, brain fog, neuropathy, etc.  I mean this is a mass disabiing event...or at least a temporary mass disabling event for a fair portion of even young and healthy people.

Yeah. This is the post I keep referring to as we talk about what corps are doing. Aside from the paxlovid, which may be happening too, particularly if any are immune suppressed or have underlying things, it seems Phantom is doing this. 

I dunno if the corps can get a stock of paxlovid to travel with or not. They may have to contact members’ health provider or have a prescribing doctor they can use. And it may depend on what state they’re in too, but it’s pretty widely available now. 

For in the stands, yeah mask. There’s a convention going on that’s getting a lot of social media by people tracking how lousy the air quality and ventilation is. Probably gonna be a spreader, particularly when they all get on planes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Continental said:

There was some arguing going on in the thread, and it got closed.  Like every other thread that gets closed. 

The recent events he was talking about is the outbreak happening in Phantom Regiment

• Thanks 1

It’s pretty rare to see anyone out and about here in Texas wearing a mask. (Restaurants, movie theaters… wherever.) In fact, people have pretty much back been back to “normal” routines with their activities for quite some time now. (Well over a year or more.) Whether it lasts, who knows? But, unless specifically required, I’d be surprised to see many masks worn in the stadiums at the Texas shows. (Again, who knows? Maybe drum corps crowds will be different.) Especially with the summer we’re in for— on par already to rival 2011. Temps for the next seven days are all 100+.