Masks!

27 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The short answer is that while some viruses gradually disappear, most viruses do not just “go away”. Cloth masks and face coverings have limited impact on lowering COVID-19 transmission, because they have minimal ability to prevent the emission of small particles. Many people wear their mask under their nose or even under their mouth, remove their masks when talking to someone nearby, or fail to practice physical distancing when wearing a mask. If mask worked, they would have worked by now. 

Considering current events, you should be more concerned about Lucas Oil Stadium Safety and Protection. Security procedures are questionable. Is DCI using metal detection, bag checks, access control, security rovers and field security, or critical crowd management functions? I have read on here where people had to request seat hoppers to get-up out the seats they had paid for. Count the number of backpacks being worn! How about all the equipment being unloaded and brought into the stadium. Was any of it scanned? What is the evacuation protocol during a large or small-scale attack, stampeding crowds pose just as much of a threat as the actual attack. IMO unless things have changed since I was last there, I would not call DCI Championships in Lucas Oil Stadium a safe and secure venue. 

I see what you did there.  Changing the look with your profile to go with changes in masks.  Works for me. 😁

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Continental said:

A great idea would be for someone to invent an edible mask, in the event that you accidentally start eating your mask. 

"This mask tastes like Gummy Bears!"

Only had 1 gummy bear in my life.  Not a fan of licorice either.  Maybe chocolate? 😂

40 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

The short answer is that while some viruses gradually disappear, most viruses do not just “go away”. Cloth masks and face coverings have limited impact on lowering COVID-19 transmission, because they have minimal ability to prevent the emission of small particles. Many people wear their mask under their nose or even under their mouth, remove their masks when talking to someone nearby, or fail to practice physical distancing when wearing a mask. If mask worked, they would have worked by now. 

Considering current events, you should be more concerned about Lucas Oil Stadium Safety and Protection. Security procedures are questionable. Is DCI using metal detection, bag checks, access control, security rovers and field security, or critical crowd management functions? I have read on here where people had to request seat hoppers to get-up out the seats they had paid for. Count the number of backpacks being worn! How about all the equipment being unloaded and brought into the stadium. Was any of it scanned? What is the evacuation protocol during a large or small-scale attack, stampeding crowds pose just as much of a threat as the actual attack. IMO unless things have changed since I was last there, I would not call DCI Championships in Lucas Oil Stadium a safe and secure venue. 

There was a time when I would quickly call this overreacting. Sad to realize now that @Poppycock isn't.

Was just at a large Kroger in Bloomington and wore a mask. Several others + many of the employees had masks on. (As a BTW, this huge Kroger near campus is referred to as KroGucci by IU students.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

As a biologist I will say you are 100% correct that viruses never really go away.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Bag and backpack checks are at the discretion of every venue. Dci has no say in those policies 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Keep box in the car also. In the supermarket I keep the mask up. But if no one within 10 feet (inside or out) I slip in down past my chin. Probably get weird looks from moving the mask up, down, up, down but T.S., T.S….

We keep one on us at all times and 2 spares in the car. We still have some N95's in the glovebox. I wear one in any store I go to out o an abundance of caution. I felt far more cavalier about it before I had my Dr's appointment last week and uncovered some pretty shocking worsening heart issues. I'm probably quite lucky that I wore one this whole time quite frankly. 

That all being said, besides a few dirty looks, I have not seen people go off the rails with comments here in SE Tennessee. If you chose to wear one, great. If you chose to occasionally wear one, great. If you chose not to wear one, great. Just be respectful of other people. I don't give you s*&% for trying to squeeze into your bedazzled skinny jeans, so don't make fun of me for wearing my awesome Velociraptor mask. 

• Like 1