Madison Scouts 2022

21 hours ago, henry7184 said:

It's not about how much they move up, or down, it's about the quality of the product and how that increases or decreases. The 2022 production and design is so exceptionally better than the 2019 production that I can't even find the right word for it. It's probably the most significant jump of anyone from 2019 to 2022 in terms of design improvement. That being said, no other corps was in such a dire need of a massive design improvement so this doesn't surprise me. Madison had the worst design of 2019, IMO.

What matters is how well they set themselves up for the future. This show sets them up much better for 2023 than 2019 did for 2020 (or 2022 as it goes). 

It's the same with Regiment. They may finish 10th (up two spots from 2019) but the improvement is so much more significant and valuable than moving up two places. 

Scores and placements matter little when looking towards the future. It's the quality of the product and the design matter. For both Madison and Regiment, 2022 is such a monumental step in the right direction.

Next year, the staff needs to write a more challenging program for the members - I think they possess the abilities to tackle it. I hope they don't make the same mistake Star did. I remember in June 1989 talking to one of their visual designers/staff members. He told me the design and demand of their show was so beneath the capabilities of the membership and they were going to be doomed come August. He was right, they were beating Cadets, Devils, and Cavies coming into finals, and ended up 6th (behind them all). It seemed Star learned that lesson with what we saw in 1990. It's a lesson I hope Madison learns this year. They could have had an even better season had the design been more challenging.

It all starts with design. Design elevates you or it sinks you.

I feel like Madison is at a very important crossroads for next year. On one hand they need to keep most, if not all of the design team in place for continuity. But, on the other hand if the design team feels that they cannot produce a more demanding/creative design for next year, then there definitely needs to be some critical additions and/or subtractions to their design team for 2023.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Patience? The BOD should have run out of patience many years ago. 

Exactly. If we were as bad as our jobs as CK and company, we would have been fired long ago. Scott Stewart got fired after missing one year of finals. Why was Mason let go? Mason left them in good standing (8th place in 2015 - I know he was gone before, but 2015 was a Mason hangover) and look what CK and company have since!  Now, they might lose to Vanguard Cadets Thursday and Friday. If that happens, I will lose it.

Why is it so hard to change the BOD for Madison?

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Exactly. If we were as bad as our jobs as CK and company, we would have been fired long ago. Scott Stewart got fired after missing one year of finals. Why was Mason let go? Mason left them in good standing (8th place in 2015 - I know he was gone before, but 2015 was a Mason hangover) and look what CK and company have since!  Now, they might lose to Vanguard Cadets Thursday and Friday. If that happens, I will lose it.

100% spot on Henry. I do not understand why the BOD continues to tolerate mediocrity and complacency. It has gone on for far too long. This year's product is poor and unacceptable and is what gets design teams fired...in most organizations.  

45 minutes ago, TenHut said:

100% spot on Henry. I do not understand why the BOD continues to tolerate mediocrity and complacency. It has gone on for far too long. This year's product is poor and unacceptable and is what gets design teams fired...in most organizations.  

Yep. I don't get it either and now they may lose to a cadet corps.

Edited by henry7184

5 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Opening the gender field up theoretically opens up the talent pool. Before allowing persons of different genders to be members, they were limiting themselves to men only. Now they have access to the full talent pool out there. Will that pay off? Who knows. 

it certainly opens up funding they can apply for.  When you're discriminatory in your membership, performing arts funding is much harder to qualify for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobjective said:

I feel like Madison is at a very important crossroads for next year. On one hand they need to keep most, if not all of the design team in place for continuity. But, on the other hand if the design team feels that they cannot produce a more demanding/creative design for next year, then there definitely needs to be some critical additions and/or subtractions to their design team for 2023.

A couple things to remember.  Its a slightly younger group this year than we're used to, but theres still is a 60+% retention rate.  If the membership is getting a good experience, then I would give the design team one more season since we're in the right ballpark and good experiences tend to get membership to stay.

Seriously, the budget isnt there to grab Scott Chandler, but Josh Wendt is seriously great at his job, and talent follows him.  He's a great pickup for the team. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, C.Holland said:

A couple things to remember.  Its a slightly younger group this year than we're used to, but theres still is a 60+% retention rate.  If the membership is getting a good experience, then I would give the design team one more season since we're in the right ballpark and good experiences tend to get membership to stay.

Seriously, the budget isnt there to grab Scott Chandler, but Josh Wendt is seriously great at his job, and talent follows him.  He's a great pickup for the team. 

I just seriously hope with the retention that they can knock it out of the park next year.