Madison Scouts 2022

2 hours ago, bobjective said:

I just seriously hope with the retention that they can knock it out of the park next year.

That performance today felt like what I want from them. 

from what I hear amongst the ranks, there are few corps members treated better.  So we can only see.  

But I will say todays performance felt like Madison. 

• Like 1

Retention will definitely be key for sure.

• Like 1

They really cranked it up tonight! Way to go Scouts!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, C.Holland said:

That performance today felt like what I want from them. 

from what I hear amongst the ranks, there are few corps members treated better.  So we can only see.  

But I will say todays performance felt like Madison. 

Chris in your honest opinion with all of the expensive props used on the field ie. BD, Blue Coats, etc. within the top scoring corps, do you think that Madison can afford to put on a competitive designed show on the field like that to even make it into the top 8 anymore?

11 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Yes and I think I'd be more likely to stay in 2023 than I would have in 2020 (after that 2019 show). So, I think we had a nice step in the right direction here.

We only have about 25-30 age outs as far as I remember, so we should be able to get some good retention this year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobjective said:

Chris in your honest opinion with all of the expensive props used on the field ie. BD, Blue Coats, etc. within the top scoring corps, do you think that Madison can afford to put on a competitive designed show on the field like that to even make it into the top 8 anymore?

I don't believe more stuff is the solution, but instead how its all used is important.  

Stairs and the ability to create different heights, are beneficial.   Mandarins method of creating height this year, with some steplike objects that stack against each other is a great idea, and not a budget buster.   And those are small enough that they're moved quickly, and the components are stackable to create a variety of levels for performers and scenery.

Platforms from steeldeck and staging concepts are built for our use in concerts, and for the rigors of tour.  They already have the agility to add casters, lock together, and have paintable ply toppers.  They're pretty reasonable for cost and built to outlast the roach.  If you've got 8 of those you can roll around, you can create all kinds of layers on the field. 

4'x6'x2' foam blocks (covered in cheesecloth and sealed with elmer's glue) can hold a couple of performers on them.  They super light to move around.   The cheesecloth shell makes them take paint really well.  

2x2x2 acting cubes are also incredibly durable, cheap to build or buy, and if you paint them some sweet contrasting color, give you pop all over the field, plus again, choreograph them into the show and you've now got almost unlimited platforms, sculptures, or can be used as additional bodies on the field for forms. 

There's no reason to kill your budget on props or methods of creating levels.   Designers just need to choreograph it into the show BEFORE the season so you're not wasting time standing around  thinking "so we need to add 32 counts of body work, and figure out what to do with these things here".  

Plan ahead.   

Shameless plug -> hey drum corps visual heads and band directors...    i'm a theatre designer, tech director, and production manager.  If you need set designs...  feel free to reach out.  I can help you keep your budget down while helping you find ideas for your shows.   

now back to your regularly scheduled banter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobjective said:

and if you think about the current set on the field for this years show.  we have four corners of an art gallery, and central arcs.  if you put those all on lockable caster, you've got the abilty to make the art gallery come to life with the performers. so we could tilt the entire gallery on axis, shrink it, grow it, stretch it.  It becomes a component that doesnt just define the stage, it now is a peformer as well. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, Prsmpower4 said:

Patience Grasshopper!

How long do we wait? This has been going on for eight years. The corps occasionally exhibits glimmers of hope on the field, but the long term trend is clear to me. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:23 PM, C.Holland said:

it certainly opens up funding they can apply for.  When you're discriminatory in your membership, performing arts funding is much harder to qualify for. 

This is a hasty generalization and fallacy of argument. The Scouts did not discriminate when they were all male. The organization was within their constitutional rights to be all male. Claims by the ED they discriminated were false statements made to bolster his argument for going cooed. The city and business community was very supportive of the Scouts when they were all male. i've seen no evidence to show that going coed has made any significant change in their funding. Show me the money. What donors declined to support the Scouts because they were all male? 

• Like 1