Madison Scouts 2022

Just now, madisonsmiley said:

This is a hasty generalization and fallacy of argument. The Scouts did not discriminate when they were all male. The organization was within their constitutional rights to be all male. Claims by the ED they discriminated were false statements made to bolster his argument for going cooed. The city and business community was very supportive of the Scouts when they were all male. i've seen no evidence to show that going coed has made any significant change in their funding. Show me the money. What donors declined to support the Scouts because they were all male? 

try reading some grant applications. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

try reading some grant applications. 

What's your point? Reading grant applications doesn't change the facts. As an all-male corps the Scouts did not discriminate, they had strong support from the community, and have not had a request for funding denied because they were all male. 

1 minute ago, madisonsmiley said:

What's your point? Reading grant applications doesn't change the facts. As an all-male corps the Scouts did not discriminate, they had strong support from the community, and have not had a request for funding denied because they were all male. 

inclusion, diversity, and a mission statement and proven operations with these at the forefront of an arts org move you to the front of the line in arts funding from public sources.  It also is helpful from community and corporate sources as their association looks stronger with groups that follow those public funds guidelines. 

those who discriminate on gender get moved to the outgoing pile of applications fairly quickly.  

"as an all-male corps the scouts did not discriminate..."    just move along alex if it pains you this much to move into the current century. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

inclusion, diversity, and a mission statement and proven operations with these at the forefront of an arts org move you to the front of the line in arts funding from public sources.  It also is helpful from community and corporate sources as their association looks stronger with groups that follow those public funds guidelines. 

those who discriminate on gender get moved to the outgoing pile of applications fairly quickly.  

"as an all-male corps the scouts did not discriminate..."    just move along alex if it pains you this much to move into the current century. 

While it appears logical that being coed would help the Scouts with fundraising, the reality is that being all-male didn't hurt the corps, it was never an issue with donors, and there is no evidence going coed has helped the corps with fundraising. 

Regarding the corps being all-male, you miss the point or are deflecting. The issue on the table is whether or not being all-male was constitutionally protected and not discriminatory. Not if it was in the Scouts' best interests to go coed or what my personally feelings are about it.

21 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Always a fun visit to the Scouts thread. off topic but I miss living in Madison

The scouts thread.  "where old habits die hard"

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

While it appears logical that being coed would help the Scouts with fundraising, the reality is that being all-male didn't hurt the corps, it was never an issue with donors, and there is no evidence going coed has helped the corps with fundraising. 

Regarding the corps being all-male, you miss the point or are deflecting. The issue on the table is whether or not being all-male was constitutionally protected and not discriminatory. Not if it was in the Scouts' best interests to go coed or what my personally feelings are about it.

have you spoken to those in the development part of the corps?    funding has been reported as better than we've seen in many many years.   Try giving them a call if you're actually concerned.  

i'm not missing the point on male only inclusion.  That's called gender discrimination.  If you're trying to find community base arts funding. Welcome to 2022, I'll reference Title 9.  (which will likely #### off every boomer in this forum)  “no individual shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving (local/state/federal) financial assistance."  This wording has been found on many a grant application i've had to read, at levels ranging from townships up to federal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I don't believe more stuff is the solution, but instead how its all used is important.  

Stairs and the ability to create different heights, are beneficial.   Mandarins method of creating height this year, with some steplike objects that stack against each other is a great idea, and not a budget buster.   And those are small enough that they're moved quickly, and the components are stackable to create a variety of levels for performers and scenery.

Platforms from steeldeck and staging concepts are built for our use in concerts, and for the rigors of tour.  They already have the agility to add casters, lock together, and have paintable ply toppers.  They're pretty reasonable for cost and built to outlast the roach.  If you've got 8 of those you can roll around, you can create all kinds of layers on the field. 

4'x6'x2' foam blocks (covered in cheesecloth and sealed with elmer's glue) can hold a couple of performers on them.  They super light to move around.   The cheesecloth shell makes them take paint really well.  

2x2x2 acting cubes are also incredibly durable, cheap to build or buy, and if you paint them some sweet contrasting color, give you pop all over the field, plus again, choreograph them into the show and you've now got almost unlimited platforms, sculptures, or can be used as additional bodies on the field for forms. 

There's no reason to kill your budget on props or methods of creating levels.   Designers just need to choreograph it into the show BEFORE the season so you're not wasting time standing around  thinking "so we need to add 32 counts of body work, and figure out what to do with these things here".  

Plan ahead.   

Shameless plug -> hey drum corps visual heads and band directors...    i'm a theatre designer, tech director, and production manager.  If you need set designs...  feel free to reach out.  I can help you keep your budget down while helping you find ideas for your shows.   

now back to your regularly scheduled banter. 

Chris with your knowledge you need to seriously be in their design team!!!