Jump to content

Madison Scouts 2022


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

When was the last time the Madison Scouts scored in the 90s?

Since the year 2000 the corps has broken 90 three times...2004, 2005, 2013

In that time frame (2000-2019) they have made finals 13 times with their highest placement being 6th in 2005

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ComicJeff2012 said:

They may not break 90 this season, but what a strong move back in the right direction! This is a very talented corps in all sections, and they have a great product that is challenging, entertaining, and modern! I see good things ahead for the Scouts!

 

With the absence of Spirit, the Scouts will improve one spot from 2019. How is that a strong move back in the right direction? I think a strong case can be made for Boston making a strong move in the right direction, but it seems Madison is treading water. Is the show design really more well-rounded than 2019? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The performance I saw last night is what I wanted 15-20 days ago. It felt like there was some hustle behind the muscle finally. 
 

the show feels better, looks better, and sounds more characteristic of this group. 
 

is it perfect? far from it. do I have concerns on it? still yes.  but in the current era of drum corps it’s in the correct style.  I still think it’s a bit too hip for the room, and the performer who has to communicate it.  
 

2019 was a show built for 1993. It felt old. it read old. It felt like a last ditch effort to appease alumni from 40 years ago. May as well have thrown some malagueña In there to cap it off. Shut all the old balls up. 
 

If they gave a great enough experience to keep 65% or more retention, next year they can do way more with less teaching and more planned refinement and upgrades. 
 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Gantang said:

With the absence of Spirit, the Scouts will improve one spot from 2019. How is that a strong move back in the right direction? I think a strong case can be made for Boston making a strong move in the right direction, but it seems Madison is treading water. Is the show design really more well-rounded than 2019? 

If the Scouts hold onto 15th, that will be a two spot improvement since 2019. In this insanely competitive activity, I’d say that’s a significant move. And yes, I believe it’s a more well rounded show than 2019. Thanks!

Edited by ComicJeff2012
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, ComicJeff2012 said:

If the Scouts hold onto 15th, that will be a two spot improvement since 2019. In this insanely competitive activity, I’d say that’s a significant move. And yes, I believe it’s a more well rounded show than 2019. Thanks!

As Gantang pointed out, absent Spirit, who beat the Scouts in 2019, the Scouts have moved up one place this year. That's a significant move? I can't don't see moving up one place for a single year as evidence of significant or sustained improvement. Moving up a few places in a year means they had a good year. Meaningful improvement to me is sustaining a significantly higher position, say three places or more, over time. Moving up three places for three out of four years would be a significant improvement to me. Just one person's opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/8/2022 at 1:22 AM, C.Holland said:

 

 

2019 was a show built for 1993. It felt old. it read old. It felt like a last ditch effort to appease alumni from 40 years ago. May as well have thrown some malagueña In there to cap it off. 
 

 

I'm a millennial and the 2019 show was one of my favorites...and the crowd at Semis loved it.  If they would have played Malaguena I would have lost my #### mind. 

Would that have won favor with the judges? No.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, madisonsmiley said:

As Gantang pointed out, absent Spirit, who beat the Scouts in 2019, the Scouts have moved up one place this year. That's a significant move? I can't don't see moving up one place for a single year as evidence of significant or sustained improvement. Moving up a few places in a year means they had a good year. Meaningful improvement to me is sustaining a significantly higher position, say three places or more, over time. Moving up three places for three out of four years would be a significant improvement to me. Just one person's opinion.

It's not about how much they move up, or down, it's about the quality of the product and how that increases or decreases. The 2022 production and design is so exceptionally better than the 2019 production that I can't even find the right word for it. It's probably the most significant jump of anyone from 2019 to 2022 in terms of design improvement. That being said, no other corps was in such a dire need of a massive design improvement so this doesn't surprise me. Madison had the worst design of 2019, IMO.

What matters is how well they set themselves up for the future. This show sets them up much better for 2023 than 2019 did for 2020 (or 2022 as it goes). 

It's the same with Regiment. They may finish 10th (up two spots from 2019) but the improvement is so much more significant and valuable than moving up two places. 

Scores and placements matter little when looking towards the future. It's the quality of the product and the design matter. For both Madison and Regiment, 2022 is such a monumental step in the right direction.

Next year, the staff needs to write a more challenging program for the members - I think they possess the abilities to tackle it. I hope they don't make the same mistake Star did. I remember in June 1989 talking to one of their visual designers/staff members. He told me the design and demand of their show was so beneath the capabilities of the membership and they were going to be doomed come August. He was right, they were beating Cadets, Devils, and Cavies coming into finals, and ended up 6th (behind them all). It seemed Star learned that lesson with what we saw in 1990. It's a lesson I hope Madison learns this year. They could have had an even better season had the design been more challenging.

It all starts with design. Design elevates you or it sinks you.

Edited by henry7184
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...