DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

5 minutes ago, craiga said:

I agree with you that this is a better design than any of the previous years and the consensus seems to be that they are performing it at a reasonably high level.  I am sure you would also agree that we don't really know anyones' chances of medalling until we have them all in the same show judged by the same panel. 

I would agree to an extent, but in my opinion Boston is not going to beat Bluecoats or BD. Boston has been overhyped once again. It's better than 2019, but it's not on the level of the medalists, IMO. The only corps that is going to beat Bloo is BD, and the only corps that is going to beat BD is Bloo. I'm sticking to it. I'm also sticking to Crown and Vanguard fighting it out for 3rd, Boston in 5th and Cavies in 6th. That's how I see it now. May change, but this is where I'm at.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

So I couldn't really see crossmen from the 8th row. Is the Mobius trip clear that it's Mobius up top? The props don't really do anything besides frame the field or drill vs say the cones that are played on, the cannons places for war and the march, or car seats and smoking Joe. 

What makes Mobius trip different than continum?

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would agree to an extent, but in my opinion Boston is not going to beat Bluecoats or BD. That leaves one spot. The only corps that is going to beat Bloo is BD, and the only corps that is going to beat BD is Bloo. I'm sticking to it. I'm also sticking to Crown and Vanguard fighting it out for 3rd, Boston in 5th and Cavies in 6th. That's how I see it now. May change, but this is where I'm at.

Fair enough.  But logically, if Bloo can beat BD, and BD is ahead of SCV by 2+ points, and BAC is only 2 pts behind Bloo, and Crown hasn't even been judged yet...well, since this is not your first rodeo you know what happens to the spreads when all the teams are in the same show.  Would you at least grant that Boston is closer to being in the top 3 conversation than ever before?

12 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Vanguard (my favorite) just doesn't have the show to beat Bloo and BD. I've seen Crown and I don't think they have the show either. I just don't. To me, BD and Bloo are by far the two best designed shows this year and design is what wins. Design kept Crown in 4th (rather than challenging for the title in 2019) and design is going to keep them out of the top 2 this year. They may get 3rd though.

You've seen Crown??  When/where??   Video-wise, I have only seen 90 seconds, and it was quite good.  I also understand that they didn't have the ending out there yet as of a few days ago, so I don't believe you could evaluate that,  and they are not out until 7/1....I am sure that they will be complete by then.....time will tell, and you also cannot compare scoring until the corps go head to head.....

6 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

You've seen Crown??  When/where??   Video-wise, I have only seen 90 seconds, and it was quite good.  I also understand that they didn't have the ending out there yet as of a few days ago, so I don't believe you could evaluate that,  and they are not out until 7/1....I am sure that they will be complete by then.....time will tell, and you also cannot compare scoring until the corps go head to head.....

Totally not Carolina crow 2022 on YouTube :wink:

Saw a run-through of Blue Stars.  Sound was clearer than Flo. I think they deserved that brass score tonight.  This is one of those shows I’ll probably listen to after championships and have a lot of respect for and enjoy listening to after the fact.  Kind of like Animal Farm and …to Look For America.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up. Bloo is in a league of their own and I can see why they won guard - better staging and more variety than Boston (their key effects seem to be based on tosses). Bravo to them for doing some entirely new and fresh.

I think Blue Stars have a very mature interesting show that will ultimately beat Phantom (unless BS percussion is really weak!).

Everyone seems to have taken a step up this year!

5 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I’m wary of the way people blame BD for every trend that they dislike. There are plenty of new things happening in DCI that BD simply hasn’t done.  I don’t see the BD of this new Bloo show at all. It’s all Bloo to me. The sound, structure, look, vibe are not BD at all. It tracks a lot more for the corps that did back to back Beatles shows and is now having its acid trip era just like the Beatles did lol. This show is SO modern Bloo to me — all about the vibes, showing off without “showing off.” That’s not BD’s schtick at all. I love that about it. 

I have never blamed BD for anything.  I was using their competitive design as a comparison.  I loved BD long before I became a Bluecoat and they have always been and still are the ones to beat.

My point is that the Bloo program is closer to the Devils approach to design than it is to themselves.  I can't recall anything musically about the program after the first viewing.  I can recall THAT there were moments of high writing and execution, but nothing sticks in my mind apart from the novel group visuals.  All of that is fairly unBluecoat.  As I said before, it's all quite imaginative, but it's less characteristic to the tried and true mission to rope in the audience, all the time, at all cost... to send them away with the show deeply etched in their minds.  It's very Blue Devils.  Just don't group me in with folks that don't like the Blue Devils.  I'm happy any time that they win.

It's not 'bad'.... look at the recap! To do as well as they did visually against Boston... it's a very Blue Devils show (Bloo needed to up their visual game).

I will be curious to see how they manage with Crown (and BD, Vanguard) musically.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Confused 1

Bluecoats give us Gestalt drum corps...can Jung be far behind..? beautiful visuals and guard work..All in all, a great beginning

• Like 1