DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

10 hours ago, craiga said:

Fair enough.  But logically, if Bloo can beat BD, and BD is ahead of SCV by 2+ points, and BAC is only 2 pts behind Bloo, and Crown hasn't even been judged yet...well, since this is not your first rodeo you know what happens to the spreads when all the teams are in the same show.  Would you at least grant that Boston is closer to being in the top 3 conversation than ever before?

I wouldn’t grant that after seeing last night’s show live combined with seeing the West Coast on Flo last week. Was a huge fan of “Wicked Games” and “Goliath”. This show left me flat. Just my 2 cents. Which are worth just that… 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

After we turned off Flo last evening there was some interesting conversation about what we had seen. I will share the highlights.

Lucas – How are they going to keep all those white costumes clean?

Jeremy – Just add woodwinds and be done with it. The Bandos will love it!

Ramon – Besides Bluecoats and Devils, there is not a single unique original thought or design to be found.

Stephan – Phantom rediscovered their identity. 

Poppycock – 30 days of ST, shows still not completed!

I agree - even if they learned only 30 seconds of new drill/day that would be 15 min of show?

I say - get the bones of the drill complete, and layer the GE on later.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob984 said:

You've seen Crown??  When/where??   Video-wise, I have only seen 90 seconds, and it was quite good.  I also understand that they didn't have the ending out there yet as of a few days ago, so I don't believe you could evaluate that,  and they are not out until 7/1....I am sure that they will be complete by then.....time will tell, and you also cannot compare scoring until the corps go head to head.....

Yes, I realize you cannot compare scores from different shows. I am basing my predictions on design, because design is all that matters. If you don't have the design, you don't have a shot at the title. When you have the design, then the execution decides it. After seeing everyone but Cadets, I believe only two corps have the design to win - Bluecoats and Blue Devils.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

That's the most whacked Bloo show to date... by a long shot.

This might be the only real commentary that I will have time to give this year, as life is crazy busy lately.

But jeepers.  This program is like a Slurpee tumor immediately following a jalapeño sinus cleansing.

If they cram in some more brass features and a couple more visual impacts near the end... then they very well may take BD on their own terms of gratuitous exhibition of pretentious BS.

I hope my Coats pull it out, but the aesthetics are a bit off the mother ship for me.

Killer execution and imagination though.

I agree with almost everything you said. This is I think the best Bluecoats show yet. It is incredible. Weird, bizarre, incredible. I loved every minute of it, and I'm not a Bluecoat fan. I liked their 2014-2019 shows enough, but this show I'm nuts about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Continental said:

tumblr_ou4ga5kXyc1uyzgbao5_500.jpg

I didn't mind these...worked with the concept.

But anyway...I think what really set the costiform debate off was the Bluecoats in 2016. That was so far from anything we'd ever seen before.

Thoughts on FLO: I watched the show on FLO via FireStick. It was over WiFi though the routers were only a few feet away in the same room. Using a Bose sound bar -- decent sound but no sub. I missed the other FLO competitions in CA -- time difference.

Other than the National Anthem and PR's show (soundwise) I thought it went pretty well. I was hoping we'd get the full theater show, but I liked what I saw.

No critique on the performances. Those MMs are doing things I could never do. Mad props to one and all!

11 hours ago, Bob984 said:

You've seen Crown??  When/where??   Video-wise, I have only seen 90 seconds, and it was quite good.  I also understand that they didn't have the ending out there yet as of a few days ago, so I don't believe you could evaluate that,  and they are not out until 7/1....I am sure that they will be complete by then.....time will tell, and you also cannot compare scoring until the corps go head to head.....

I saw a video of the show from a high vantage point. I'm not judging the quality of the performances as I make my assessment, I am judging the design.

The show is awesome. I love it. It will definitely be one of my favorites. The brass is killer. I also loved the guard book and guard unis. I WISH a show like this would win. I wish that so hopefully the activity will take another turn where shows like this are rewarded vs the shows of the last year's top 3.

I'm basing my opinion of what the judges did in 2019. In 2019, talent kept Crown in the top 4, and design kept them out of the top 3. They won music and still couldn't place higher than 4th because their design killed them in GE and Visual (well killed them enough to keep them out of the top 3). I feel much the same about this years show, the design is on par with their 2017-2019 designs. I just don't think it's going to be enough to contend with Devils and Bluecoats (who have those superior designs that play perfectly into the judges hands), but it may be enough to knock Vanguard to 4th. We'll see.

In 2019, I thought Crown had the most thrilling and challenging show. It was my favorite. But, it didn't play to the sheets the way Devils, Bluecoats and Vanguard did. If you don't play to the sheets you don't win and you might not even medal. DCI is slowly killing itself and the sheets is one of the ways it is doing it. I don't like it, but it is what it is. If Crown wants to win again, they are going to have to play the game, and they aren't playing the game.

Edited by queenanne_1536

Having seen BD (2x), SCV (3x) live, after last nights show in Detroit, I would say that the Blue Devils, Bluecoats are on the hunt for title. I would not count out Boston Crusaders or SCV, theses shows have so much potential.  Have not seen Carolina Crown YET!!! so anything and everything can change 😉

Bluecoats - the uniform works for me, the show idea is EPIC (extremely complex but it's a journey and the narration works) keeps the music engaging, good soloist, visually lots of original ideas, is it clean NOOO!!! but the concept/music and execution will improve throughout the season. Great vehicle for them, this summer. (The metal tires) need color, it doesn't match the other props or color scheme! My 2 cents! 

Boston Crusaders - the uniform is perfect for them, great show idea, music is awesome - staging of solos need work (need some type of color to draw the eye to the soloist or where it's coming from, STRONG color guard, better percussion and brass section. LOVE the conical prop and it moves with the music and drill!!! YES! CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and they should do well this summer!

Santa Clara Vanguard - interesting show concept and music selection. The uniform is a problem for me (Boston made the effort for making it look like a uniform), SCV looks like a bad middle school production of marching band - not flattering.  PERCUSSION hands down will be the force to reckon with this summer. Strong performances with percussion, brass and guard, good drill and visual moments but doesn't it all work together - hmmmmm not yet, it has tons of potential. NEEDS color to POP, can't wait to see and hear how this show develops over the season.

Blue Devils - love the show concept, strong sections across the board, if there is a weak section it's the color guard - rifle line. The music works well and the brass staging when the music gets complex is excellent at this point of the season, strong soloist. LOVE the color scheme and the flags in the color guard (medieval flag - first flag in the show is AWESOME), all the other one's complement and enhance the visual aspects of the music. This show has very familiar ideas from past shows, so the excellence is high. I expect an extremely clean and maxed show by the end of the season. Narration is a little confusing but who cares, it's the BLUE DEVILS!!! 

Corps to watch out for!!!

MANDARINS, PHANTOM REGIMENT

Edited by Box5Opinion
  • Like 4