DCI Tour Premier?? 6/28/22

Just now, Triple Forte said:

Did people forget that Phantom finished second in 2006 , BD finished third

lol 

I sure didn't. Faust is my favorite Phantom Show of all time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sounds like you saw the s same video I saw.  All will be clear tomorrow night. 

Just saw the video.  The show is formidable.  Very formidable.  It's an aggressive, winning design and they are performing it very well.  And they have certainly mastered electronic integration, a strong visual program, clever concept and the music is going to be beloved by the fans.

I just don't see where the naysayers that suggest that something has been lost in contemporary drumcorps are coming from.  So many powerful groups with mind blowing designs.  Corps today come out on day 1 looking and sounding like it's finals week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

Did people forget that Phantom finished second in 2006 , BD finished third

lol 

Just clarifying… is third not considered  to be “in contention”? If there were a podium, it’d be enough to get you there. So “BD was in contention in 2006” sounds right! And PR was absolutely fabulous that year, which goes without saying — obviously very deserving of 2nd. 

As for 2005… I’ll save my defense for Yowza Yowza Yowza for another night (even if they deserved 4th) 😇

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If BD didn't drop the shako in 06 they would have won. Change my mind. 

I don’t remember a shako debate from that year but what I *do* remember is people practically writing letters to their senators over BD adding a white stripe to their uniform… 

22 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I don’t remember a shako debate from that year but what I *do* remember is people practically writing letters to their senators over BD adding a white stripe to their uniform… 

when the DM dropped the shako from the podium it fell over and everyone gasped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

It’s way too early to count those  naughty little Devils out of taking the big toy back to Concord. Like the Crownies, each season I respect opinions of indifference, and I respect yours. Time will tell! 

Devils will be vying for the title with this show - 1,000%. It's been almost 20 years since Devils weren't in a position to win the title. The most foolish thing anyone in this activity can do is count the Devils out. You know every single staff member on every single corps is trying to figure out how to beat the Blue Devils. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I would say 2005 was the last time BD was out of contention.

Hear me out..................

Cavaliers was by far the best corps in 2006 and the right corps won. Hands down no debate there. Machine was a force and to this day is my favorite Cavies show! But BD was only down .7 if i recall correctly going into Finals night. We have seen corps make up that deficit and even larger from Semi's to Finals, 1996 Phantom, 1999 SCV, and 2000 Cavaliers come to mind. Not saying BD was going to in 2006, cause again the right corps won and deservedly so, but we had seen stranger things happen on finals night in previous years. I hope that makes sense without disrespecting the Cavaliers, cause again, the right corps won, and even as a BD Honk, even i would have had a serious problem with Godfather winning over Machine. 

2005 on the other hand, there was no hope of BD winning. No way. Not a chance in hell. 

I have heard you out and agree wholeheartedly. It's just when I think of Devils being 3rd I think of them being down and out - haha, but you are right. If fact, Regiment only beat them once in 2006 (I believe) - which was finals, and Devils were right there with Cavies through semifinals.

I don't think Cavies would take any disrespect out of what you said. In fact, I would bet no one in Cavaliers were counting the Devils out until they heard them announced in 3rd place.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Devils will be vying for the title with this show - 1,000%. It's been almost 20 years since Devils weren't in a position to win the title. The most foolish thing anyone in this activity can do is count the Devils out. You know every single staff member on every single corps is trying to figure out how to beat the Blue Devils. 

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Staff members at other corps aren't thinking one bit about the Blue Devils.  They are thinking about making their shows great, and tackling puzzles that arise in daily rehearsal blocks.

Contending isn't about comparison to other shows.  It's about playing to strengths and maxing out potential.

40 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Just clarifying… is third not considered  to be “in contention”? If there were a podium, it’d be enough to get you there. So “BD was in contention in 2006” sounds right! And PR was absolutely fabulous that year, which goes without saying — obviously very deserving of 2nd. 

As for 2005… I’ll save my defense for Yowza Yowza Yowza for another night (even if they deserved 4th) 😇

Yes, I stood corrected. It's just when I think of BD I think of them being 1st or 2nd (they've been there from 2007 through today). So, when I think of them in 3rd I think "wow they had a really bad season." LOL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Staff members at other corps aren't thinking one bit about the Blue Devils.  They are thinking about making their shows great, and tackling puzzles that arise in daily rehearsal blocks.

Contending isn't about comparison to other shows.  It's about playing to strengths and maxing out potential.

I didn't mean that figuratively. Of course, they aren't sitting around talking about how they can beat the Devils. Rather, they know the title goes through Concord.

Edited by queenanne_1536