The Academy 2022

In my time in OC, food was one of the bigger budget items.  We didn't really get too much into the X per member per day, as we had a pretty good master formula (and a long time food director who knew her stuff).  That said, I definitely think we fed the kids well, but we got to go see Boston's food spread once and it just blew ours away.  It was pretty amazing.

Mike

14 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

i think a few of the world class corps rent their cook truck now.  the cost of rental vs maintenance and equipment upkeep (licensing, inspection...etc) was better. 

C.Holland, Certainly, I was not aware of that option, Thank You.  It is much like the immense cost savings and convenience of relying on the transportation services of LYFT/UBER/ETC in comparison of the Ownership/Maintenance/Insurance and refueling your own vehicle. I personally sold my car and have not driven in three years. And in the process save literally Thousands of Dollars.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeN said:

In my time in OC, food was one of the bigger budget items.  We didn't really get too much into the X per member per day, as we had a pretty good master formula (and a long time food director who knew her stuff).  That said, I definitely think we fed the kids well, but we got to go see Boston's food spread once and it just blew ours away.  It was pretty amazing.

Mike

we ate pretty good in Madison, and then (when we had Southwind and Capitol Sound under the same umbrella) we saw our sibling corps at show sites and how they ate.   WHY ARE THEY GETTING STEAK?

• Haha 1

Just now, DrumCorpsRelic said:

C.Holland, Certainly, I was not aware of that option, Thank You.  It is much like the immense cost savings and convenience of relying on the transportation services of LYFT/UBER/ETC in comparison of the Ownership/Maintenance/Insurance and refueling your own vehicle. I personally sold my car and have not driven in three years. And in the process save literally Thousands of Dollars.

upkeep, inspection (of truck and food service equipment, fire protections), storage...etc. its a huge cost.  one of the world directors tipped me off to what they did back in 2015.  made total sense. 

6 hours ago, denverjohn said:

Dinner meant parking the busses at an intersection that had each corner occupied by 1.McDonald's, 2. Kentucky Fried Chicken 2. Skipper's 4. Subway

Denverjohn, Yes, quite the Logistical Undertaking! One of the Underappreciated, Knowledge and skills of Professional and Volunteer Bus Drivers. Tip of my Hat to Them. Bon Appetit

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sideways said:

If we want to be reductionists about this religion is a choice as well so ultimately those dietary “restrictions” are a choice…see how this works? 

Why would we want to be reductionists about this … ? We’re talking about food — a basic need. Why would we get rhetorically argumentative about this like its just some abstract thing?

Most people with dietary restrictions — for whatever reason — wouldn’t show up for a full summer tour without confirmation that they’d be able to eat for the extent of the summer. It’s simply not a sacrifice most people would make today, when vegetarian and vegan options are by and large standard practice and when it’s also standard practice to ASK people their dietary needs.

So what we’re talking about are people who were told they WOULD have their dietary restrictions honored, only to find that they weren’t. 

You can argue all day about why certain restrictions are choices or yadda yadda but what can’t be debated is that these people signed their contracts and forked over their tuition money with an understanding that they would be able to eat according to their restrictions, and the corps failed to honor its end of the deal. Period. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Why would we want to be reductionists about this … ? We’re talking about food — a basic need. Why would we get rhetorically argumentative about this like its just some abstract thing?

Most people with dietary restrictions — for whatever reason — wouldn’t show up for a full summer tour without confirmation that they’d be able to eat for the extent of the summer. It’s simply not a sacrifice most people would make today, when vegetarian and vegan options are by and large standard practice and when it’s also standard practice to ASK people their dietary needs.

So what we’re talking about are people who were told they WOULD have their dietary restrictions honored, only to find that they weren’t. 

You can argue all day about why certain restrictions are choices or yadda yadda but what can’t be debated is that these people signed their contracts and forked over their tuition money with an understanding that they would be able to eat according to their restrictions, and the corps failed to honor its end of the deal. Period. 

His comment was one of the most tone deaf, ignorant, and stupid things I’ve read on DCP; so much so that I couldn’t be bothered to respond to it. Thank you for doing it for me. People will say just about anything online 

16 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

His comment was one of the most tone deaf, ignorant, and stupid things I’ve read on DCP; so much so that I couldn’t be bothered to respond to it. Thank you for doing it for me. People will say just about anything online 

Not really…kids getting fed on tour and you bring religion into the discussion.  There’s zero useful dialogue in bringing that in.  Point being that any dietary “restrictions” that are not medically necessitated are a choice and nothing else…not sure how stating that is ignorant and tone deaf.

Edited by Sideways

9 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Not really…kids getting fed on tour and you bring religion into the discussion.  There’s zero useful dialogue in bringing that in.  Point being that any dietary “restrictions” that are not medically necessitated are a choice and nothing else…not sure how stating that is ignorant and tone deaf.

"Kids that don't/can't eat meat shouldn't march drum corps" is pretty silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

"Kids that don't/can't eat meat shouldn't march drum corps" is pretty silly.

The "Get Off My Lawn" mentality is basically lack of compassion for and understanding of others. It's all over DCP across many topics in all shapes and sizes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2