Jump to content

DCI 2022 Judging


Recommended Posts

Please pardon me if this topic has been asked about and/or posted already. I was simply wondering if this year will be judged and if so, will judges be back on the field or will they be on the sideline like in 2019? If this has been answered already, please direct me to the thread. Thanks fellow DCI family!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blakman7 said:

Please pardon me if this topic has been asked about and/or posted already. I was simply wondering if this year will be judged and if so, will judges be back on the field or will they be on the sideline like in 2019? If this has been answered already, please direct me to the thread. Thanks fellow DCI family!

To answer, yes of course 2022 will be judged and I didn't see a rule change putting judges on the field again.

 

The most interesting aspect in judging for 2022 IMO...

“We have some really great candidates who were going to be in their first year of judging, they’d done the trial judging, they’d done all of the other interviews and presented their material to us, and they were ready to go,” said John Phillips DCI judge administrator.

 

If you want to learn what has been going on in the judging community, there is more information here:

https://www.dci.org/news/looking-ahead-to-the-return-of-competition-in-2022

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

nothing changed from 19. and a few judges got daring in their uh...field coverage

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I predict people will ask:

1.  Corps X electronics failed mid-show - how could the judges award that number?

2.  Judge - there was a major tear on side 2 in the closer - didn't you see that?

3.  Corps Z - is all park & bark, why the high number in visual?

4.  Can't you hear the thundering-goo overpowering the ensemble?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I predict people will ask:

1.  Corps X electronics failed mid-show - how could the judges award that number?

2.  Judge - there was a major tear on side 2 in the closer - didn't you see that?

3.  Corps Z - is all park & bark, why the high number in visual?

4.  Can't you hear the thundering-goo overpowering the ensemble?

I'm ready to pounce on 1, 3, 4.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I have a feeling that corps this season will do far more park and bark, much  less field coverage, less " marching " as we customarily describe " marching", more playing of music around, top of, and inside of props and the like. Not much sense in filling up a whole field from endzone to endzone, if the parameters have seemingly changed in what is being rewarded now visually, ie working mostly within the 35 yard lines visually with the show, and going vertical ( height wise ) with the props and music playing now rather than going horizontal end zone to end zone visually, with fuller field coverage with marching from set to set... That seems passe now, and show designers likely are now becoming more savvy as to what appears to be rewarded now... and what used to be rewarded, but no longer is. Corps learn to adapt to change.. and likely will continue to do so when they put their shows to design in the off seasons.

 DCI will have some new judges in the mix with veteran judges, and its good ( imo ) to have a fresh set of eyes and ears out there assessing performers abilities and show design qualities among all these corps.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, Boss Anova said:

 I have a feeling that corps this season will do far more park and bark, much  less field coverage, less " marching " as we customarily describe " marching", more playing of music around, top of, and inside of props and the like. Not much sense in filling up a whole field from endzone to endzone, if the parameters have seemingly changed in what is being rewarded now visually, ie working mostly within the 35 yard lines visually with the show, and going vertical ( height wise ) with the props and music playing now rather than going horizontal end zone to end zone visually, with fuller field coverage with marching from set to set... That seems passe now, and show designers likely are now becoming more savvy as to what appears to be rewarded now... and what used to be rewarded, but no longer is. Corps learn to adapt to change.. and likely will continue to do so when they put their shows to design in the off seasons.

 DCI will have some new judges in the mix with veteran judges, and its good ( imo ) to have a fresh set of eyes and ears out there assessing performers abilities and show design qualities among all these corps.

I imagine lots of dancing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too wonder what the effects of marching 165 will be. That's a boatload of bodies on the field. Just no tarps, please. I can see a 165 car pileup. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, Boss Anova said:

DCI will have some new judges in the mix with veteran judges, and its good ( imo ) to have a fresh set of eyes and ears out there assessing performers abilities and show design qualities among all these corps.

Majority of the new judges were once BD members. Can’t wait for the crying 😢 to begin!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Majority of the new judges were once BD members. Can’t wait for the crying 😢 to begin!

LOL Yes, the salty tears will flow 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...