Shows that never materialized…

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if they would have used European swallows or African swallows?  (tying this to the previous bird comment)

Not sure. But I'm sure there would have been coconuts.

Edited by gbass598
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if they would have used European swallows or African swallows?  (tying this to the previous bird comment)

Are you suggesting that Velvet Knights migrate??

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ExPitster said:

Very interesting...this is a different story than what I heard back then.  

I had a good friend who marched the '90 show (same year I marched 'Coats) and can't remember if he told me this or someone else...but the explanation I got was that Marc Sylvester wanted to do an entire show based on Bernstein's "Mass" which would be an in-depth exploration of good vs. evil.  Supposedly the BOD was uncomfortable with some aspects of what was proposed, thus the change to the tribute show.

I'm not one to post gossip or idle speculation, but this seems long enough ago that I thought it would be germane to the conversation.  Funny how in later years, both the "Good vs. Evil" (2011) and full on "Mass" (2017) concepts came to fruition anyway.

Eagerly counting down to the start of 2022... 

the BOD wasn’t ok with that but was ok with…. you know the whole Hop thing

sorry don’t mean to hijack

10 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I know in 1990 Cadets of Bergen County were planning on doing a Carmen show. I would love to have seen how they were going to interpret the show seeing as they did a nice job with Les Mis in 1989. So they were going to continue with a musical and then they found out SCV was doing Carmen so they scrapped the show and had to change course and put together a Bernstein celebration show of various tunes and somehow managed to still pull off a World Title. But I would have loved to see their interpretation of Carmen. SCV did one heck of a job with it too. 

My memory could be failing me, but I thought I remember Cadets planning on a Pat Metheny show for '90, but then switched some time over the winter to the Bernstein show.

1 hour ago, hughesmr said:

My memory could be failing me, but I thought I remember Cadets planning on a Pat Metheny show for '90, but then switched some time over the winter to the Bernstein show.

Well your guess is as good as mine. I always heard it was Carmen. You're saying you heard it was Pat Metheny (which would have been cool) and another person is saying it was to be a full show on Bernstein's Mass. Anyone else have better info? 

1 hour ago, hughesmr said:

That was 1985. 

Not a full show, but I've always been curious what the Bluecoats' 2017 ballad was supposed to be before they replaced it with Grow Till Tall due to what I heard were licensing issues with the original choice. I'm ultimately glad they went with the Jonsi piece, but I'm still curious.

In 2012 the Cadets had a Pearl Harbor show on tap, before switching to the (now classic, then head scratching) Christmas show.

Also, I heard that Sia's Chandelier was the original Bloo ballad in 2016, but didn't work out well at spring training, so the scrapped it for that excellent Pink Floyd tune. I wonder how Crown will do with that tune this year!