The Blue Stars Present....

On 6/29/2022 at 2:45 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm pretty sure after last night the Percussion Caption Head lost a wrestling match with the Brass Head at a staff meeting when headcount allocations were discussed. 

Not only are they young, they're undersized. Loved the show, though. You can never go wrong with Prokofiev. 

Yeah it looks like they were marching a hole in the snare line. That hole would give them 8 and if they add another makes it 9 which to my ears is the perfect line size. As those of us (yourself included I would imagine) who have endured sounding like "shoes in a dryer" (and I was usually the lint filter in those scenarios,) better 7 clean than 10 dirty. 

Now...all of that being said. The spacing looks HUGE and BIGGLY especially in the bass line. That will probably tighten up unless it's something that has to be there for drill sake. Gaps cause potential listening issues (especially if you're deaf as a post like me.)

• Like 1

After this season is done; I think it might be time for a "back to the drawing board" session for the design team. Shapiro and the rest of the head honchos are way too talented to keep on creating shows like this. I know Shapiro loves to recycle winter guard shows in the drum corps arena; but he  and the rest of the design team need to come up with something fresh, original, well thought out, and well edited for the Blue Stars. This year is just straight up clutter, across the board, and is a huge step back; it's a show that's just good enough to keep the corps in finals. 

13 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

After this season is done; I think it might be time for a "back to the drawing board" session for the design team. Shapiro and the rest of the head honchos are way too talented to keep on creating shows like this. I know Shapiro loves to recycle winter guard shows in the drum corps arena; but he  and the rest of the design team need to come up with something fresh, original, well thought out, and well edited for the Blue Stars. This year is just straight up clutter, across the board, and is a huge step back; it's a show that's just good enough to keep the corps in finals. 

Sounds like they need you on their design team - oh knowledgeable one. 

BS have 2 shows under their belts and I’m pretty sure they know what their issues are and how they are going to evolve their show! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps I’m in the minority here but after hearing most of the corps music after the first couple of shows I think the Blue Stars music is outstanding.  I recognize there are performance issues as is the case with all the corps to one degree or another and in specific groups.  I’m biased because I love Prokofiev and would like to hear a corps arrange the Quarrel from his Cinderella Suite #1 again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, HouserCD said:

Perhaps I’m in the minority here but after hearing most of the corps music after the first couple of shows I think the Blue Stars music is outstanding.  I recognize there are performance issues as is the case with all the corps to one degree or another and in specific groups.  I’m biased because I love Prokofiev and would like to hear a corps arrange the Quarrel from his Cinderella Suite #1 again.

100% bias but I love the music. You can definitely feel the war and peace feelings in it and it just seems so balanced. There's a reason the brass is getting such high scores. Also so on FB a shout out to UDB about rewrites so maybe some to come soon to fix some staging. I'm still shocked on how well they are playing together stretched end zone to end zone for so many parts. 

• Like 3

Wasn’t sold watching in theaters for Detroit, but saw them live in Muncie and I adore their brassline tone. They sounded so balanced and I can certainly see why they’re earning the praise and scores they are. 

Need to listen to the source for the Prok more but I love the Great Comet music. 

Also, the use of color between guard and the corps uniforms is fantastic!

Edited by g00fyg00ber
  • Like 2

This is the show I’ve been watching most. It’s really going to build over the summer. Their baritone and trumpet soloists are so understated. Nothing flashy, just pure musicality. It’s great to see people waking up to their brass lol. They’ve been developing their sound for a while. FCO

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

This is the show I’ve been watching most. It’s really going to build over the summer. Their baritone and trumpet soloists are so understated. Nothing flashy, just pure musicality. It’s great to see people waking up to their brass lol. They’ve been developing their sound for a while. FCO

This is actually the caption heads first competitive year

• Like 1

As I posted on the Cedarburg topic:    Blue Stars horns are no fluke..... pure musicality, bold, deep sounding power with lovely soloists.    Guard and overall design from a GE standpoint is nothing to underestimate either.... extremely technical, beautiful color, flowing design with the corps covering  the entire field throughout the show.  Should be fun to see this corps develop over the course of the summer... me thinks quite well.

I believe the horns, guard, visual, marching, GE, in the end will carry the day.  If you are a horn musician, you will love this show!  This is the most sophisticated show I have seen from the Blue Stars in quite a few years.    You must see this show live to appreciate it.... viewing on line dose not do it justice.  Adjustments for sure will be made, especially drums.....time will tell, but think it will be a dog fight 7-11 until the very end...Good luck to all!!!

Edited by brians
  • Like 3