The Blue Stars Present....

5 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

My biggest take away from yesterday is there is no reward for using the whole field for technical musical difficulty. Also, spread out curves get less points than close blocks. The question becomes do you lose your identity for competitive success or continue to be your own unique group and hope for the rewards. 

I will be proud of the Brads and their decisions either way because they put together a fine group of individuals. 

Almost three weeks left. The Stars tend to close strong. They were in 7th place yesterday which is one place higher than 2019 in San Antonio. Let’s see where they are next Saturday. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mcjordansc said:

Almost three weeks left. The Stars tend to close strong. They were in 7th place yesterday which is one place higher than 2019 in San Antonio. Let’s see where they are next Saturday. 

Lets hope history proves itself once again!  I will come right out and say it;  the horn score in San Antonio was a bunch of BS!! (Bull S***)  Keep chugging away. Good luck Blue Stars with one of the most musically, and  aesthetically engaging show we have seen for some time!!!  FCO!

• Like 3

I meant to post this last Friday after the show, but I had the pleasure to talk to a few fans/alumni of the Blue Stars while I waited in line. Ya'll are a great group to this community. It was really nice hearing some stories about the history of the Corps and their personal experiences. I'm just happy that they didn't mind my extreme Cavies self lol! 

• Like 2

I did not see too many holes last night, maybe a couple. The corps needs to stay safe. I hope the soloists have understudies just in case. 

• Like 1

Wow the guard has cleaned up fast! Good for them. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 3:01 PM, BlueStainGlass said:

My biggest take away from yesterday is there is no reward for using the whole field for technical musical difficulty. Also, spread out curves get less points than close blocks. The question becomes do you lose your identity for competitive success or continue to be your own unique group and hope for the rewards. 

I will be proud of the Brads and their decisions either way because they put together a fine group of individuals. 

That feels really little defeatist, to be honest? It’s also not really reflected in the scores — Crown specializes in wide field coverage and spread out curves. You can’t argue that they don’t get credit for it in their music scores every year.

I don’t think we should compare Blue Stars to groups that are achieving better overall and conclude that the difference in score comes down to the style of difficulty or things like tight blocks versus spread-out curves. A lot of things are difficult. And Blue Stars are outscoring and outperforming quite a few groups! They don’t have to change their approach, IMO. A much better option is to keep doing their thing and to start outperforming the groups that are difficult in similar ways. Clearly, though, they’re already being rewarded for a lot of what they’re doing. 

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

That feels really little defeatist, to be honest? It’s also not really reflected in the scores — Crown specializes in wide field coverage and spread out curves. You can’t argue that they don’t get credit for it in their music scores every year.

I don’t think we should compare Blue Stars to groups that are achieving better overall and conclude that the difference in score comes down to the style of difficulty or things like tight blocks versus spread-out curves. A lot of things are difficult. And Blue Stars are outscoring and outperforming quite a few groups! They don’t have to change their approach, IMO. A much better option is to keep doing their thing and to start outperforming the groups that are difficult in similar ways. Clearly, though, they’re already being rewarded for a lot of what they’re doing. 

It is defeatist to see groups barely moving and playing getting scored higher in VA and VP as well as some of the music captions. Crown is getting hurt by it as well because they are running around the field playing way more than others. I really want to see them follow the Bluecoats of 2008 being a 6th place group and slowly knocking down the door to the top. All done in house and pushing the group to greater places.