The Blue Stars Present....

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I agree with the indifference aspect. The Blue Stars are a “boring” corps in that they stay away from controversy, weren’t a part of the G7, and have been placing high enough to not be in trouble of missing finals but not high enough to be considered a contender. 

I personally have found their productions in the past decade to be quite entertaining and this year is no exception. I think that with the corps not having much of a rabid fan club on DCP, they end up in a position where everyone isn’t necessarily rooting against them, but they are rooting for their own favorite corps to pass them up

Especially considering some of those legacy corps have come under some trying times recently in Cadets and Phantom, the fanbases are just naturally antsy for their corps to return to the upper echelon of the activity and no one should blame them for wanting to get back there, the overarching good thing for the activity is that there are plenty of corps that are in the way contending to make moves of their own like Blue Stars, we’ll definitely have to keep an eye on how this continues over the next several years👀 just makes for more interesting competition!

I love the  Blue Stars show this year.  The show is balanced, features soloists and duets that enhance the impact of the full brass ensemble.  The transitions are well crafted as one piece blends to the next.  The show tells a story and the  selection of music from outstanding composers I.e. Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Giacchino, and Malloy fits their War and Peace theme very well.  Each time I see them the show has improved, soloists are more confident.  The show has an emotional quality to it that conveys over to the listener.  I hope they continue to clean and fine tune this.  It’s a real gem.

• Like 2

We might be witnessing a record today for activity in a Blue Stars thread. 

The Blue Stars' design team know how to put a show on the field that can score well. We see it year after year, so no one should be surprised they are doing so well this summer. I believe some of the staff changes they made over the past few years are really paying off now. One consistent has been Michael Shapiro in his 15th year with the corps. 

I fully expect the Blue Stars to attain their highest score ever in Indianapolis. It seems like they have something special happening this year. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

We might be witnessing a record today for activity in a Blue Stars thread. 

The Blue Stars' design team know how to put a show on the field that can score well. We see it year after year, so no one should be surprised they are doing so well this summer. I believe some of the staff changes they made over the past few years are really paying off now. One consistent has been Michael Shapiro in his 15th year with the corps. 

I fully expect the Blue Stars to attain their highest score ever in Indianapolis. It seems like they have something special happening this year. 

Gotta poke the bear sometimes 

31 minutes ago, HouserCD said:

I love the  Blue Stars show this year.  The show is balanced, features soloists and duets that enhance the impact of the full brass ensemble.  The transitions are well crafted as one piece blends to the next.  The show tells a story and the  selection of music from outstanding composers I.e. Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Giacchino, and Malloy fits their War and Peace theme very well.  Each time I see them the show has improved, soloists are more confident.  The show has an emotional quality to it that conveys over to the listener.  I hope they continue to clean and fine tune this.  It’s a real gem.

The only small addition to this show I would have liked to have seen is a little Pictures/Great Gate. That massive horn line could really do that well, I'd imagine. 

Every time I think of that Great Gate hit I remember my time in an all star concert band in high school where we did Baba Yaga and Great Gate.  We'd had the sheet music for weeks to rehearse on our own then were doing our first run through together as we were kids from all over different high schools.  We get to the end of Baba Yaga and the conductor of course just boldly gestures us on and ... it was me on tenor sax and a piccolo from another school who FFFF hit the next note.  That is all.

He cuts us off with an angry look.  Kids are like, "oh you're gonna get it for playing after the movement."

WHY DID YOU PLAY THAT? "Um. It's marked attacca."   EXACTLY.  WHY DIDN'T THE REST OF YOU PLAY?  YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST OF CONCERT PLAYERS IN THE TRI-STATE AREA." 

Yeah, that felt good.

• Haha 1

Honestly, when they wheel those cannons out i'm like "oh I wish they were doing 1812 with this."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The only small addition to this show I would have liked to have seen is a little Pictures/Great Gate. That massive horn line could really do that well, I'd imagine. 

That would be impressive.  The Simon Bolivars large orchestra performed that in Britain and it was memorable.  The Grandeur and Power of it.  When SCV performed that in 87 or Madison in Reframed 2012 it was spectacular.

• Like 1