2022 Daily Run Down

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if DCI has a policy that applies when a Corps has a Covid outbreak during finals week?   

I dunno that there is any DCI policy for COVID this year.  It seems they let the corps call the shots.  So, say, if a corps wants to push their kids out there because it's finals week, DCI would probably let that corps be judged.  If a corps wants to say "hey, we can't do our show with 30 people out sick." DCI would let them standstill and be done after Thursday.  

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I dunno that there is any DCI policy for COVID this year.  It seems they let the corps call the shots.  So, say, if a corps wants to push their kids out there because it's finals week, DCI would probably let that corps be judged.  If a corps wants to say "hey, we can't do our show with 30 people out sick." DCI would let them standstill and be done after Thursday.  

And this is what could make for an interesting list of finalists.

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Stay Positive Even When It Seems Hopeless on a 2.5x3.5 - Etsy Ireland

That this is fine done in the style of Choose Your Own Adventure books, which more often than not ended in a pretty grim way, is perfect. 

• Like 2

A big night despite some high profile non-scored exhibitions or outright no performances. Let's go show by show. I'll do a midseason analysis after Monday night's shows (competition day 27 of 51). I'm waiting the extra day with hopes that The Cavaliers will compete Monday night rather than coming up with some statistical model to guestimate how they would be doing. Hopefully that will also mean competition scores for Guardians and Southwind.

Fort Collins - Blue Devils continue to pull away from Santa Clara Vanguard and its starting to look like at most a four-way fight for the top with Santa Clara Vanguard in more of a 5-8 grouping. Troopers have been opening up ground over The Academy since first defeating them last week. Genesis made its season debut in the 21st place position. 

Memphis - Carolina Crown edged Boston Crusaders by 0.400 points. This means Boston cut the margin down by more than half since the last time the two corps met each other on July 9th. The other corps in the competition all saw modest score increases.

Vista, CA - Vanguard Cadets made a huge leap after nearly a week off the competition field with an 11.100 point increase and their first victory over Blue Devils B. 

Whitewater - Bluecoats put up a large score increase after nearly a week with a competition, but that score is still only good enough for 4th place right now. Colts and Madison Scouts have improved at nearly identical rates. With The Cavaliers out of commission, Colts are now in a tie for 11th with Blue Knights. While typically this could be written off, unless DCI changes the rules for regionals, this will give Colts a spot in the final Top 12 rotation in San Antonio and leave The Cavaliers with the 13-15 corps.

QUiLAEG.png

• Thanks 3

Was 2015 the year that the Cavaliers had a stomach bug outbreak so bad that it actually affected them from a competitive standpoint? It's starting to look like a deja vu season for them, sadly.
Covid has become a player in the competition; unfortunately, that's the reality that I think we all knew would, probably, happen. We all want our respected corps to finish as high as possible; but at the health expense of another corps...no way. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

Was 2015 the year that the Cavaliers had a stomach bug outbreak so bad that it actually affected them from a competitive standpoint? It's starting to look like a deja vu season for them, sadly.
Covid has become a player in the competition; unfortunately, that's the reality that I think we all knew would, probably, happen. We all want our respected corps to finish as high as possible; but at the health expense of another corps...no way. 

Norovirus.  That was the year.  Highly contagious.  Just tore through them.  I felt so bad for them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, corps8294 said:

It hit them right before Atlanta regional which was probably the worst possible time other than right on Finals.  It's around there new endings and such are being ironed out and put in.  All that got flattened and while they got back on the road to finals, they'd lost their energy too far.

This year the Cavies (and Phantom) seem to have been hit the hardest.  SCV has been marching a fair few holes too.  But it's been earlier in the season so hopefully they get their momentum back through the end of the tour.  If I were some of the other corps tour directors, I'd be doubling down on maintaining a bubble because getting a Covid hit like what Cavies had later in the season would be much more catastrophic for seeing final placement impacted.

If ever there was a year designers needed to consider "how many holes can this show take before it can't be put on the field?" its this one.  But it seems most of the shows haven't been designed with that in mind. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Doom and gloom.

That was a different situation. For one, it happened later in the season, and people weren't able to practice.

This time around, I'm sure they'll have time to recover, and people were able to do more.