2022 Daily Run Down

August 4th Run-Down

Glassboro, NJ:

• Boston Crusaders earned their highest score ever and their second highest margin over Bluecoats of the season. I'm happy to have been able to assist in locating housing/rehearsal facilities for Boston Crusaders in a beautiful indoor/outdoor turf facility for this show.
  • Blue Knights retook the lead over Crossmen for the last finalist spot. Blue Knights have won three of four match-ups.

Centerville, OH:

• Blue Stars maintained a 1+ point lead over The Cavaliers and The Cavaliers maintained a 1+ point lead over Mandarins.

Apple Valley, MN:

• After splitting their first two match-ups, The Battalion moved of River City Rhythm by a slim 0.050 margin.
  • Les Stentors and Colt Cadets have now split their two match-ups.

There are no shows tonight as our attention shifts to DCI East in Allentown. I'll be happily sitting on the 50 yard line about 75% of the way up the bottom deck both nights. I'll also be at the Crossmen Alumni picnic in the park. Please say hello. I'd love to connect with you if you happen to be in town!

oFHhU2U.png

• Like 5

15 hours ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

August 3rd Run-Down

A lot of scores. Little movement.

The Open Class show scores appear to reflect unusually high increases. This happens a couple of times a season and usually gets corrected over the next several days. I wouldn't think too much about the relative changes in placement resulting from anything shaded in blue. Frankly, there's not a whole lot to write about from last night's results and tonight's shows have already started so I'm going to move along swiftly today!

Tonight

Centerville, OH:

• Three of the four 7-10 corps are head-to-head. Can The Cavaliers pull even closer with the Blue Stars? Are Mandarins in this group or out of it?
  • Music City is within one point of Madison Scouts for the 15th spot. Is that still the last corps in the theater broadcast in two weeks? If so, this is an important line of demarcation!

Glassboro, NJ:

• Bluecoats and Boston Crusaders are in a points' tie right now, but Boston Crusaders is cleary ahead in head-to-head competition. There's a sold-out show waiting to watch this battle go down.
  • The Crossmen-Blue Knights match-up is one for 12th place. Crossmen have the edge most recently. Who is in and who is out heading into DCI East?
  • And why not some home town love for Jersey Surf? The corps has been off to a bit of a slow start competitively. Maybe some Jersey style support can propel them into the corps' first regional weekend of the season.

1wG747s.png

In Open Class, I wouldn't count Gold out just yet. They seem to be an afterthought in your run down. 

Just a friendly reminder that before Gold was ravaged by Covid that took them out of competition for three weeks, they are still unbeaten vs SCVC this season, and beat BDB two out of three times head to head. 

Not saying Gold will win it all in Open class, but don't write them off just yet. 

Gold and SCVC will face off for the fourth time tomorrow in Iowa, so we will see where everyone is going into Marion on Monday. 

• Like 2

Depending on judges and what nights they compete or rest, the Mandarins and Cavaliers have been keeping pace with each other pretty well. I see the Cavaliers and Mandarins in a tight battle through Finals Night. It's going to be fun to watch. I think the Cavaliers have the edge, but I wouldn't count out the Mandarins... their show hasn't been super clean yet, but they keep getting better.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, Chief Guns said:

In Open Class, I wouldn't count Gold out just yet. They seem to be an afterthought in your run down. 

Just a friendly reminder that before Gold was ravaged by Covid that took them out of competition for three weeks, they are still unbeaten vs SCVC this season, and beat BDB two out of three times head to head. 

Not saying Gold will win it all in Open class, but don't write them off just yet. 

Gold and SCVC will face off for the fourth time tomorrow in Iowa, so we will see where everyone is going into Marion on Monday. 

Looks like you were right!

• Thanks 1

August 6th Run-Down

The weather gods were looking down on Allentown last night. An hour-long delay led to an uninterrupted night of drum corps with lightening in the distance all around the stadium. I had my regular seats about 80% of the way up the lower deck on the 50 yard line in section I. Oddly, the primo seats in front of me, behind me, and next to me all remained empty the entire night. I enjoyed the extra space and just hope those seats weren't for people whose planes were canceled!

I also had the good fortune to be able to arrange for the Mandarins housing and rehearsal site in my hometown in New Jersey. Thank you to the Somerville school district for making it happen. Not only was it fun to see the Mandarins in town, I was able to answer some questions in a community social media forum as people excitedly talked about the source of the "beautiful music" they were hearing. Well done Mandarins!

My analysis is nearly all numbers' based. I will interject an unpopular personal opinion that I think the placements were spot on last night in Allentown. I love a new champion and was all in on Carolina Crown and Bluecoats when they made their runs at the Blue Devils, but I did not find myself connecting with the Boston Crusaders the same way. I hope repeated viewings next weekend change that! 

I would also say that from my seat in the thick of things, Phantom Regiment was the crowd favorite. This was the only corps to receive a full on standing ovation early in the show. The corps brought an excitement and energy to the show that felt like a giant leap up from the corps that came before, including the Mandarins, the corps I was most excited to see again after being blown away by them at DCI West in Stanford last month.

On to the numbers.

Allentown, PA:

After seeing Boston Crusaders pull to within two-tenths of a point in Atlanta, Blue Devils roared back with a big statement win by 1.550 points. Bluecoats are now just 0.125 points behind Boston Crusaders, the closest the two corps have been since Bluecoats last defeated Boston on July 19th. The most interesting medalist outcome on night two will be where Carolina Crown fits into this math.

Phantom Regiment trailed Mandarins by 0.325 points, the narrowest margin all season. 

Colts and Blue Knights both decreased in score. Will Crossmen follow suit or does this provide an opening for Crossmen to solidify Top 12 momentum heading into the final week of the season?

Although it looks like a flip in the rankings, The Academy continued the trend of beating Music City in head-to-head competition. 

Cedar Rapids, IA:

Vanguard Cadets and Gold met up for the first time since July 10th. Vanguard Cadets came out on top for the first time by a margin of just 0.100 points. Particularly notable is the apparant score correction that occurred. Although Vanguard Cadets had not competed since July 24th, the corps' score increased less than Gold, a corps that competed just a few days prior. This appears to be a reconciling of relative scores from different parts of the country with Gold having competing in different groupings. From both a relative and absolute score standpoint, this suggests that Gold is back in the conversation for a medalist spot with Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, and Spartans. 

Gold has a "gold"en opportunity tonight in Illinois in head-to-head competition with Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B and a primetime last on in the competition spot after the other California corps open up the show a couple of hours earlier. The table is set.

Portage, MI:

There wasn't any significant movement here placement-wise. 7th Regiment competed for the first time in a week and a half and put up a large score increase to reflect that. 

mZEsbuQ.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

August 6th Run-Down

The weather gods were looking down on Allentown last night. An hour-long delay led to an uninterrupted night of drum corps with lightening in the distance all around the stadium. I had my regular seats about 80% of the way up the lower deck on the 50 yard line in section I. Oddly, the primo seats in front of me, behind me, and next to me all remained empty the entire night. I enjoyed the extra space and just hope those seats weren't for people whose planes were canceled!

I also had the good fortune to be able to arrange for the Mandarins housing and rehearsal site in my hometown in New Jersey. Thank you to the Somerville school district for making it happen. Not only was it fun to see the Mandarins in town, I was able to answer some questions in a community social media forum as people excitedly talked about the source of the "beautiful music" they were hearing. Well done Mandarins!

My analysis is nearly all numbers' based. I will interject an unpopular personal opinion that I think the placements were spot on last night in Allentown. I love a new champion and was all in on Carolina Crown and Bluecoats when they made their runs at the Blue Devils, but I did not find myself connecting with the Boston Crusaders the same way. I hope repeated viewings next weekend change that! 

I would also say that from my seat in the thick of things, Phantom Regiment was the crowd favorite. This was the only corps to receive a full on standing ovation early in the show. The corps brought an excitement and energy to the show that felt like a giant leap up from the corps that came before, including the Mandarins, the corps I was most excited to see again after being blown away by them at DCI West in Stanford last month.

On to the numbers.

Allentown, PA:

After seeing Boston Crusaders pull to within two-tenths of a point in Atlanta, Blue Devils roared back with a big statement win by 1.550 points. Bluecoats are now just 0.125 points behind Boston Crusaders, the closest the two corps have been since Bluecoats last defeated Boston on July 19th. The most interesting medalist outcome on night two will be where Carolina Crown fits into this math.

Phantom Regiment trailed Mandarins by 0.325 points, the narrowest margin all season. 

Colts and Blue Knights both decreased in score. Will Crossmen follow suit or does this provide an opening for Crossmen to solidify Top 12 momentum heading into the final week of the season?

Although it looks like a flip in the rankings, The Academy continued the trend of beating Music City in head-to-head competition. 

Cedar Rapids, IA:

Vanguard Cadets and Gold met up for the first time since July 10th. Vanguard Cadets came out on top for the first time by a margin of just 0.100 points. Particularly notable is the apparant score correction that occurred. Although Vanguard Cadets had not competed since July 24th, the corps' score increased less than Gold, a corps that competed just a few days prior. This appears to be a reconciling of relative scores from different parts of the country with Gold having competing in different groupings. From both a relative and absolute score standpoint, this suggests that Gold is back in the conversation for a medalist spot with Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, and Spartans. 

Gold has a "gold"en opportunity tonight in Illinois in head-to-head competition with Vanguard Cadets and Blue Devils B and a primetime last on in the competition spot after the other California corps open up the show a couple of hours earlier. The table is set.

Portage, MI:

There wasn't any significant movement here placement-wise. 7th Regiment competed for the first time in a week and a half and put up a large score increase to reflect that. 

mZEsbuQ.png

I would likely have been in the seat in front of you!  Blew out my knee two weeks ago and couldn’t manage the hill. Broke my heart!  Glad you enjoyed the show and the extra space. 

11 hours ago, brassboy said:

In Atlanta, Phantom scored ahead of Mandarins by a slim 0.05.

Absolutely correct. Not sure how I missed that. I must have just only looked at the list when Mandarins were on top. Thanks for catching that!

• Thanks 1