Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl (June 25, 2022)

7 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Ok, just watched BD.  If they play 6.5 minutes ensemble out of 13 minutes I would be shocked.  It's like a throwback show in the 70's with props and amps (actually a LOT more park and blow).  Enjoyable show.  So MUCH park and blow.  Sorry guys if this wins it won't be on demand.  Hard to tell if the horn line is loud or it's just that much amping.  Guard and drumline are working it.  Hornline meh at best visually.  Seriously, if they get demand and composition credit over other corps for this, something is wrong IMHO.  I liked it, I just don't see it winning unless a lot more (more difficult) judgeable content is added. 

The Blue Devils are masters at creating and performing shows according to the sheets. Demand isn't as much of a factor as it used to be. That's why you see more and more corps shrinking the field, not going behind the back hashes, and not doing 6-to-5s at hypersonic speeds. Performance and staging are the name of the game, now. I'd add, the current Top 5 corps are masters of the current sheets. 

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Blue Devils are masters at creating and performing shows according to the sheets. Demand isn't as much of a factor as it used to be. That's why you see more and more corps shrinking the field, not going behind the back hashes, and not doing 6-to-5s at hypersonic speeds. Performance and staging are the name of the game, now. I'd add, the current Top 5 corps are masters of the current sheets. 

Then the question is it the sheets or the interpretation of the sheet by the judges.  No doubt BD are masters of the sheets and everything else required to get that interpretation.  It was enjoyable, just thought Blast did it better. 😉

42 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Ok, just watched BD.  If they play 6.5 minutes ensemble out of 13 minutes I would be shocked.  It's like a throwback show in the 70's with props and amps (actually a LOT more park and blow).  Enjoyable show.  So MUCH park and blow.  Sorry guys if this wins it won't be on demand.  Hard to tell if the horn line is loud or it's just that much amping.  Guard and drumline are working it.  Hornline meh at best visually.  Seriously, if they get demand and composition credit over other corps for this, something is wrong IMHO.  I liked it, I just don't see it winning unless a lot more (more difficult) judgeable content is added. 

Look he's back and still not understanding what demand is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Look he's back and still not understanding what demand is. 

Wow, that's it?  Nothing about my mom?

I’m waiting for the replay so I can’t watch BD yet but someone sent a dress rehearsal video to Jim this morning that has drone shots.  Pretty cool.  Are they using different brass this year?  The mellos have a unique sound. Dare I say closer to a French horn sound than I’ve heard in drum corps in a long time. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’m waiting for the replay so I can’t watch BD yet but someone sent a dress rehearsal video to Jim this morning that has drone shots.  Pretty cool.  Are they using different brass this year?  The mellos have a unique sound. Dare I say closer to a French horn sound than I’ve heard in drum corps in a long time. 

They're with Conn Selmer now rather than using their own branded horns, using Kings. Also using Ludwig drums, though you wouldn't know it from the lack of visible logos. 

• Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Corps for decades have had park and bark in their production. BD will medal!  Just don’t know who the other two corps will be. The premier will most likely fill in the blanks.